Date : 27th February 2016



Opposition : Biggar United



Competition : Waddell Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Martin Todd Goalkeeper 7
2 Ryan Wood Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 8
4 Chris Young Centre Half 7
5 Dan Romaines Centre Half 8
6 Robert Armstrong Right Midfield 7
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
8 Alan Jess Centre Midfield 7
9 Joe Condy Centre Midfield 7
10 Steven Shennan Left Midfield 7
11 Sean Lackenby Striker 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Brandon Pollock . .
14 Gary Buchan on for R.Wood 70 mins 5
15 Mick Pattenden . .
16 Kieran Turner . .
17 . . .




Score : 4 - 2



Scorers : S.Shennan, J.Condy, S.Lackenby, R.Armstrong



Assists : J.Condy (2), S.Shennan, R.Armstrong



Bookings : 2



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside progressed to the quarter finals of the Waddell Cup with a hard fought win against ‘C’ Division Biggar United. Chirnside started the brighter of the teams and should of been one up within 2 minutes but both Condy and Morrison failed to connect with Armstrong's teasing cross. The papermakers continued to press for the early breakthrough but after a succession of corners Romaines volleyed over from close range.


Biggar soon got into the game and scored with their first attack after a quick counter saw the right winger cross for the striker to tap in for an easy goal. Biggar then had a good spell of possession and went close with one shot hitting the upright. However Chirnside weathered the storm and came back into the game and should of equalised from the penalty spot but Jess blasted over the goal. Chirnside were now the dominant team and as half time approached should of equalised but Armstrong blasted straight at the keeper when through on goal.


The away side started the second half as they finished the first and should of scored almost immediately but this time Lackenby missed from close range. Chirnside finally equalised when a good ball from Condy released Shennan to slot past the keeper. Chirnside were now well on top and should of scored again but Armstrong continued to show his lack of composure and blasted straight at the keeper when one on one. The away sides second goal soon arrived when a good run into the box saw him unleash a shot that cannoned off the crossbar but Condy reacted quickest to slot the ball home. Despite being outplayed Biggar did get an equaliser after a goal mouth scramble which saw a deflected shot make its way past Todd in the Chirnside goal. However Chirnside quickly got back in their stride and soon scored again when this time a shot by Armstrong came back off the bar for Lackenby to score. Shennan had a chance to put the game to bed but again he failed to beat the keeper when one on one.


With 10 minutes left Armstrong made up for his earlier misses and managed to slot Chirnside’s fourth past the keeper to secure Chirnside’s place in the quarter finals.