Date : 24th March 2012



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : Waddell Cup



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 6
2 Jamie Stobie Centre Half 7
3 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 6
4 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
5 Ryan Purves Right Wing 6
6 Kevin Strachan Left Wing 6
7 Danny Hoyle Centre Midfield 7
8 Chris Young Centre Midfield 6
9 Greg McCrudden Centre Midfield 6
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 6
11 Jack Windram Striker 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Jocky Turner on for A.Lauder 75 mins 4
14 Leigh Wood . 5
15 D.Pattenden . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 3



Scorers : J.Windram, K.Strachan



Bookings : 2



Sendings off : 0






For the second week in succession Chirnside only have themselves to blame for a second consecutive defeat to Leithen Rovers. Despite being the side doing most of the pressing for the majority of the game, a bad start gave them a mountain to climb.


Chirnside got off to the worst possible start when they went behind within two minutes when a cross was glanced on by the forward only for the ball to hit his marker Christie in the stomach changing the direction of the ball and trickling over the goal line at the near post, wrong footing Cowe in the Chirnside goal. Things went from bad to worse when on the 10 minute mark a good save by Cowe was picked up by Strachan but the young winger made the cardinal sin of losing the ball in his own half while dribbling the ball rather than clearing his lines and he was tackled by the approaching right back who whipped in a cross to the his strikers leaving the out numbered homeside defence no chance.


Chirnside began to come into the game and should have pulled a goal back immediately but McCrudden chose to cut inside when clean through on goal when an early shot would have been the better option. The homeside were then unlucky again when Morrison met a corner from Strachan but his downward header was cleared off the line. Chirnside now looked more like the team looking to score but against the run of play Leithen got a third when a penalty decision went against Chirnside when Stobie seemed to have clearly played the ball but the referee adjudged otherwise. At three nil down Chirnside seemed down and out but to their credit they continued to look for that goal. Windram had a half chance when through on goal but the Leithen keeper made a good tackle on him. However it was from set pieces that the homeside seemed likely to score with Leithen struggling with Chirnside’s physical presence in the box. Chirnside then had another two chances cleared off the line with Morrison again and Christie both having headers cleared off the line. Despite Chirnside’s pressure they couldn’t find that elusive goal by half time.


HT 0-3


The homeside began the second half with a change of formation and tactics reverting to a 4-4-2 with a flat back four rather than the traditional sweeper role. This immediately put Leithen on the back foot as they struggled to come to grips with man to man style of play adopted by Chirnside. The continual early pressure from Chirnside paid off when Windram pulled goal back when the ball was laid into to him by Lauder and he showed some neat footwork to create a bit of space and drilled a low shot past the keeper into the bottom right of the goal. The homeside were now well on top and Leithens only avenue of attack was on the counter but the Chirnside back 4 had no problem dealing with the pacy Leithen front line.


Chirnside still continued to press and should have scored but a mixture of brave defending and poor finishing kept the score at 1-3. However on the 75th minute mark Chirnside were awarded a penalty when Lauder appeared to be pulled down in the box much to the frustration of the away support and players who were adamant that the ball was taken first. Captain Young stepped up to take it but the usually reliable skipper pulled his penalty wide of the goal and failed to reduce the deficit further.


The men in green didn’t let their heads go down and continued to push for another goal. On the 85th minute it arrived when another corner was swung in which again Leithen struggled to deal with and in the resulting melee Strachan was able to volley the ball home from close range to make it 2-3. The last few minutes of the match saw Chirnside have a succession of corners but Christie, Morrison, Young and Hoyle all failed to convert free headers to take the game into extra time. Leithen could have made it 4 in the last minute of injury time as they broke from a corner with the whole Chirnside 11 in the opposition box but good tracking back by Stobie and miss of the season from the Leithen substitute kept the game at 2-3. Chirnside should take some encouragement from the way they tried to recover from 3 nil down but Leithen should be given credit for the way they defended and put bodies on the line to win the game in what turned out o be a good cup tie.


FT 2-3