Date : 17th March 2012



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Leigh Wood Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Dod Blaikie Sweeper 6
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 6
6 Ryan Purves Centre Midfield 6
7 Danny Hoyle Centre Midfield 7
8 Greg McCrudden Centre Midfield 6
9 Paul Blacklock Right Wing 7
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 7
11 Kevin Strachan Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Jack Windram on for A.Lauder 80 mins 5
14 J.Blaikie on for J.Stobie 85 mins 5
15 Chris Young . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 3 - 4



Scorers : A.Lauder, P.Blacklock, G.McCrudden



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 0






Despite being down to the bare bones of their squad Chirnside nearly took a point on Saturday only losing out to a goal minutes from the end.


The home team were on a high following their Border Cup success the previous weekend and started the better of the two teams. Luggett one of two Colts players drafted into the starting line up made a few good saves in the early exchanges. The away defence also had to be at their best blocking a couple goal bound efforts.


It was the away team however that broke the deadlock on the quarter hour mark when Blacklock's shot was only parried by the keeper and Lauder was first to react to the rebound hitting into an empty net from close range.


Five minutes later Chirnside made it two. A corner from Strachan on the right was headed home by the unmarked Blacklock to mark his first start of the season with a goal. The away team were now in the ascendancy but could not make their superiority count with more goals.


Ten minutes before half time Leithen pulled a goal back. A harmless looking cross came in from the right but Luggett and Hoyle collided with the ball coming of the latter into his own net. This was a set back to the away side going in at half time as they had coped fairly comfortably after the early onslaught.


HT 1-2


Within ten minutes of the second half kicking off the home team equalised. Yet again it was a sloppy goal to give away, this time a cross from the right evaded everyone and it nestled into the bottom right hand corner of the net without anyone touching it.


The next 20 minutes of the game only a few chances were created with both sides restricted to shots from distance. It was Rovers though that added number three with 15 minutes to go. A corner was only partially cleared and the midfielder picked the ball up 20 yards out, he advanced a few steps with no challenge near him and his shot trundled into the bottom corner of the net with Luggett unsighted.


Chirnside thought they had snatched a point near the end when McCrudden expertly volleyed home home Stobie's cross but the home team had other ideas with a goal in injury time. A ball was played into the Chirnside box and cleared out wide, Stobie attempted to close down the cross but appeared to be tripped, the referee waved play on and the ensuing cross was chested home at the back post to give victory to the home side.


FT 4-3