Date : 28th January 2012



Opposition : Hawick Legion



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 7
2 Leigh Wood Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Chris Young Centre Midfield 7
7 Danny Hoyle Centre Midfield 7
8 Greg McCrudden Right Wing 6
9 Aidan Lauder Striker 6
10 Keir Blaikie Striker 7
11 Ryan Purves Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Jack Windram on for G.McCrudden 50 mins 6
14 Kevin Strachan on for K.Blaikie 70 mins 5
15 Jocky Turner on for A.Lauder 50 mins 6
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 4 - 1



Scorers : J.Windram, D.Morrison, J.Turner, C.Young



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






In one of the few games to survive the frost, it was back to league business for Chirnside on Saturday after progressing through to the Quarter Finals of the South Cup last week.


Hawick Legion were the visitors in a must win game for both sides. Chirnside were only three points above Legion before the game and with the away side showing a vastly different team from their last fixture the home team knew this was going to be a tough game.


Chirnside started well and had most of the possession for the first 20 minutes but they had nothing to show for their efforts. Blaikie has the hosts best chance but he screwed his shot wide following a cut back from Hoyle. Hawick nearly took the lead soon after following a corner. The ball was not cleared properly and the Legion centre half thumped his shot of the underside of Cowes bar, which after a scramble was cleared to safety.


Five minutes later it was Chirnsides turn to hit the bar. This time Purves played Lauder through but his shot cannoned off the bar to safety. It was the away team though that took the lead on the half hour mark. A sweetly struck free-kick on the left went flying into the top left corner of the net leaving Cowe with no chance. Hawick then dominated the rest of the half with the Chirnside defence doing well to keep them at bay.


McCrudden had a chance in the last minute of the half but his fine solo run ended with the keeper saving when the cut back looked the better option.


Chirnside started the second half knowing they needed to take something out this game. It was not long before Turner and Windram were introduced and they made an immediate impact. The equaliser came on the 55 minute mark when a Turner corner was flicked on by Blaikie for Windram to bundle over the line from close range.


Morrison added the second soon after when he powered home Turners free-kick from the right. Blaikie then Windram both had goals disallowed for offside as the home side were looking to turn the screw on the game. The Legion were then reduced to 10 men with 20 minutes to go when Young was caught with a high challenge.


Almost immediately Chirnside made their extra man count when Turner floated in a right foot lob with the Hawick keeper caught off his line. Captain Young sealed the victory late on when he latched on to Turners through ball to shoot first time past the keeper. The victory moved Chirnside up a spot in the league and are now above their local rivals Duns on goal difference.