Date : 21st January 2012



Opposition : Upper Annandale



Competition : South Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 6
2 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
3 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 6
5 Leigh Wood Right Back 7
6 Ryan Purves Left Wing 6
7 Chris Young Centre Midfield 6
8 Danny Hoyle Centre Midfield 6
9 Greg McCrudden Right Wing 6
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 7
11 Keir Blaikie Striker 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for K.Blaikie 65 mins 4
14 Kevin Strachan on for R.Purves 70 mins 4
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 4



Scorers : G.McCrudden (2), A.Lauder (2), K.Blaikie



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 1






Chirnside progressed into the quarter finals of the South Cup with a good away win away to Upper Annandale in Dumfries and Galloway.


The away team started quick out the traps and went one nil up with in ten minutes when a good run by Lauder released Blaikie down the inside left channel who in turn cut the ball back to the edge of the box for McCrudden who expertly fired the ball in the net from 18 yards. Upper Annadale tried to respond straight away but a good stop by Cowe in the Chirnside goal kept them a goal to the good. Chirnside were quite content to hit on the homeside on the counter and got asecond goal when a good break from midfield by Young saw his cross not dealt with by the home team and Lauder was on cue to Stab the ball home.


Chirnside didin’t ease up and soon went 3 nil ahead on the 25 minute mark when again a mixture of good play and poor defending led to McCrudden getting his second of the game. Chirnside continued to press for more but failed to add to their tally.


HT 0-3


Upper Annandale began the second half hoping to get an early goal back. They had the better of the opening minutes but Chirnside soon extended their lead further when a poor freekick by Purves managed to deflect off the wall to the feet of Blaikie and he brilliantly turn and hooked the ball into the top corner from 8 yards. The away team were now cruising but on the 70 minute mark Upper Annadale finally got a goal when Chirnside failed to clear their lines and the midfielder blasted the ball into the goal from the edge of the box.


Chirnside didn’t let this get to them and replied immediately with another goal to make it 1-5 when a good freekick by Stobie was flicked inside by substitute Kelly for Lauder to take a touch and slot the ball past the on rushing keeper. As the game went into the final ten minutes Chirnside began to get sloppy and lost three goals in ten minutes due to poor defending at set pieces and a penalty award which saw Kelly sent off for deliberate handball. Chirnside managed to hang on to record a 4-5 victory which should have been more comfortable than it turned out to be.