Date : 14th January 2012



Opposition : Tweeddale Rovers



Competition : Beveridge Cup



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 5
2 Jamie Stobie Centre Half 5
3 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
4 Chris Young Sweeper 6
5 Ryan Purves Left Wing 6
6 Leigh Wood Right Wing 5
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 6
8 Greg McCrudden Centre Midfield 5
9 Danny Hoyle Centre Midfield 6
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 5
11 Keir Blaikie Striker 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for L.Wood 45 mins 5
14 Jocky Turner on for G.McCrudden 70 mins 5
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 3



Scorers : J.Turner 2 (1 pen)



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside played host to Tweeddale Rovers in the First Round of the Beveridge Cup at Comrades Park on Saturday.


This was the fourth time the teams had met this season and the evens were all square with a win apiece and a draw in the previous encounters. Chirnside made one change to the team that defeated Duns last weekend with Wood coming in for Windram who was off on holiday. The first ten minutes of the game were fairly even with neither side creating many chances.


Tweeddale got the breakthrough on 15 minutes, following a short corner their central midfielder drilled a shot in from the edge of the box, Cowe could only parry the attempt and their striker was first to react to stab the ball home from close range.


Chirnside's first attempt on goal came following a good move down the right involving Morrison and Hoyle who set up Wood but his shot from 12 yards went just wide with only the keeper to beat. Blaikie then thought he had equalised but his header from Young's free-kick just drifted wide of the right hand post.


Tweeddale dominated possession for most of the half and they doubled their lead on the half hour mark when their striker out-stripped the home defence despite their claims for offside and shot past Cowe from just inside the box. They could have added to their lead just before the interval but the same player saw his shot well saved by Cowe after a poor kick out by the keeper.


The second half kicked off and again it was the away team that pinned Chirnside back into their own half. A clearance from McCrudden nearly ended up in his own net but it deflected off the bar to safety and a cross from the right was just missed at the back post by the onrushing midfielder.


They did get their third however on the hour mark. A bit of a scramble in the box led to a shot from 16 yards deflecting off Young into the corner of the net. Chirnside knew they had to up their game and substitutes Kelly and Turner brought fresh impetus to the team with their arrival.


This gave the home team a lift and almost immediately they pulled one back. Lauder received a great diagonal ball from Turner and as he cut back in towards goal he was brought down in the box. Turner stepped up and put the ball in the right had corner of the net despite the keeper guessing the right way.


Number two should have arrived for the men in green but Turner powered his header wide from close range following a corner from the left. Tweeddale were then reduced to ten men with 80 minutes on the clock. Their left midfielder received a second booking following a heavy challenge on Stobie who also had to leave the field and with the only two substitutions being made already both teams carried on a man down.


With five minutes left on the clock Turner added his second of the game with a great left foot volley which left the keeper with no chance. Despite the fightback Chirnside left it too late as Tweeddale seen out the rest of the game for a well deserved victory.