Date : 7th January 2012



Opposition : Duns Amateurs



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 8
2 Jamie Stobie Centre Half 8
3 Stevie Christie Centre Half 8
4 Chris Young Sweeper 8
5 Ryan Purves Left Wing 7
6 Jack Windram Right Wing 7
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
8 Greg McCrudden Centre Midfield 7
9 Danny Hoyle Centre Midfield 7
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 7
11 Keir Blaikie Striker 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for D.Morrison 75 mins 6
14 Leigh Wood on for J.Windram 75 mins 6
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 0



Scorers : C.Young (2 pens), A.Lauder, J.Windram, K.Blaikie



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






It was derby day in Berwickshire with Chirnside taking on local rivals Duns at Gavinton.


It was both teams first game for a number of weeks due a combination of bad weather and a long festive break.


Chirnside began the game kicking up the Gavinton slope and into the prevailing head wind, but despite the blustery conditions and heavy pitch the away side moved the ball about well through midfield and out to the flanks. Chirnside dominated early possession and the first half chance of the game arrived when Hoyle turned and had a snap shot that rattled of the bar from a tight angle. The chances started to flow for Chirnside and they hit the wood work again when a snap shot from Blaikie hit the post and from the resulting goal line scramble Christie had 3 attempts blocked on the line.


Chirnside were now well on top with Windram, Morrison, Blaikie and Lauder all going close. But the break through finally arrived on the half hour mark when a good cross from Stobie was met by Lauder to power home the header. Chirnside pushed for more goals but could find a second due to poor finishing and good saves from Dixon in the Duns goal.


HT 0-1


The second half began much in the same vein as the first had ended with the papermakers doing much of the attacking. Goal number two wasn’t long in arriving when a good tackle by Morrison on the half way line him saw him link up well with Purves and McCrudden with Morrison bursting into the box to pull the ball back to Windram to volley home form 12 yards. Striker Blaikie was next to try his effort at goal but his toe poke strike from 25 yards rattled off the bottom of the post.


However Blaikie again was involved when he was tripped in the box and from the resulting penalty, Captain Young returning from a long layoff due to a broken foot buried penalty. Chirnside were now well on top and Duns very rarely posed a threat. Goal number four soon arrived when this time Purves was tripped in the box and once a again Young stepped up and buried the penalty off the underside of the bar.


Morrison then went close again with pile driver of a shot as did Windram and Blaikie who both pulled their shots wide. The game was finally put to bed when some good work down the left by Purves saw his resulting cross turned in by Blaikie.


Duns did however have one last foray up front when a break of the ball in the tackle fell kindly for the striker who was clean through but his resulting shot was superbly saved by Cowe in the goal showing good concentration despite being a spectator for much of the game.


Captain Young commented after his dream return to action “Aye it was a good day for me, Kayls did say to me last night when we were cuddling up that she had a dream I scored on my return to action, it was just a bonus to get two goals”

FT 0-5