Date : 22nd October 2011



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 7
2 Leigh Wood Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Dod Blaikie Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Keir Blaikie Centre Midfield 7
7 Graham Kelly Centre Midfield 8
8 Greg McCrudden Right Wing 7
9 Jocky Turner Striker 7
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 8
11 Tom Ireland Left Wing 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Martin Donaldson on for G.McCrudden 70 mins 5
14 Johnny Blaikie on for A.Lauder 88 mins 4
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 4 - 2



Scorers : J.Turner, A.Lauder, T.Ireland, G.Kelly



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside entertained title contenders Leithen Rovers on Saturday still looking for their first win in the league while the visitors came into the game undefeated.


The home team were down to the bare bones of their squad and substitutes Donaldson and J.Blaikie were making their first appearances of the season.


Leithen Rovers started the game well and were looking to release their pacy strikers at every given opportunity. During the first quarter of the game the Chirnside defence had to be at their best as Leithen piled on the pressure with a succession of corners. Against the run of play however it was the home team that took the lead on the 20 minute mark. The Rovers sweeper was adjudged to have passed it back to his keeper and Turner made no mistake from the free-kick tucking the cut back from Lauder into the bottom right hand corner of the net.


The goal spurred the home team on and K.Blaikie and Turner nearly added to their score but were just wide with their efforts. Just as Chirnside looked to be taking control it was Leithen who equalised on the half hour mark when a high spinning ball was won in the air by the striker and he headed over Cowe into the Chirnside net.


The lead was short lived however as Lauder took the ball down well on his chest and his well placed shot from 18 yards beat the keeper to give the home side the half time lead.


The second half kicked off and Rovers began to press hard for the equaliser. Again their pace up front and out wide was causing the home defence problems but they stuck to their task well to keep them at bay. It was Chirnside though who hit on the break who got that all important next goal. A flowing move down the right saw Wood cross to the back post where it was met by Ireland who hit his volley first time past the keeper giving him no chance. Chirnside looked to kill the game off and Lauder was put clean through but was wiped out by the Leithen keeper. The referee deemed there to be defenders covering and he was only given a booking.


The home team knew this was now a great chance for them to get their first victory of the season and they looked to hold firm for the last twenty minutes of the game. However a momentary lapse in concentration allowed Leithen to pull a goal back with 15 minutes to go. A quick free-kick was taken and the left winger ghosted in at the back post to head past Cowe from close range.


Chirnside did always look dangerous on the break and they got their fourth and what turned turned out to be the winner 10 minutes from the end when Turner played Kelly in and with just the keeper to beat he found the corner of the net much to the delight of the home support


The away team did not give up and had two goals disallowed through offside and also had a penalty claim turned down as the striker had handballed on his way through to goal. Chirnside make the trip to Peebles next Saturday to face Tweeddale in another league fixture.