Date : 15th October 2011



Opposition : Newtown



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 6
2 Tom Ireland Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Craig Dishington Sweeper 5
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Keir Blaikie Centre Midfield 6
7 Graham Kelly Centre Midfield 6
8 Greg McCrudden Right Wing 6
9 Jocky Turner Striker 6
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 6
11 Kevin Strachan Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Leigh Wood on for C.Dishington 25 mins 7
14 Duncan Morrison on for A.Lauder 80 mins 4
15 Connor Lough on for G.McCrudden 65 mins 6
16 Dod Blaikie . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 2



Scorers : K.Blaikie, J.Turner (pen)



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 0






For the second week running Chirnside salvaged a draw in a game they probably should have won on chances created and possession during the game.


Chirnside started the brighter of the two sides, moving the ball about the Newtown pitch with some good passing football. The first chance fell to Chirnside but the shot from Blaikie flew over the crossbar. This woke up the homeside and Newtown began to come into the game and started to apply some pressure to the Chirnside back line, however without really creating any clear cut chances. Chirnside then came back into the game and Turner, Strachan and Lauder all went close.


Against the run of play Newtown took the lead when some slack defending by Chirnside allowed the striker to get away a looping shot from just inside the box which made its way over Cowe in the Chirnside goal into the back of the net. However Chirnside finally got some of the lady luck that has been missing this season after Blaikie unleashed a grass cutter of a shot which the keeper fumbled through his own legs into the net. This spurred Chirnside on but with 20 minutes left to play they were dealt a blow when a late challenge on Dishington resulted in a bad knee injury and a delay to play for 25 minutes. Once the game restarted Chirnside should have scored from the restart when Strachan went clean through but saw his shot saved and from the resulting rebounds both McCrudden and Lauder had shots cleared off the line. Within minutes of this happening Strachan had probably the best chance of the game to score when the keeper fumbled a freekick from Turner, but with the goal gaping Strachan blasted over the bar.


HT 1-1


The second half got underway in much the same way as the first had ended. Chirnside were having the majority of the possession and the most shots on the goal. The first good chance of the half fell to Blaikie in the six yard box but a brilliant block from the Newtown defender saw the shot blocked from close range. Next up to go close was Turner from a freekick but he saw his effort clip the outside of the post. Lauder was next up with a chance but the youngster made a mess of the finish when through one on one with the keeper. Newtown were however still dangerous from set pieces despite their lack of chances from open play, and they went close with a header from a corner after again some slack marking in the penalty by Chirnside. The away team then hit the woodwork again when a good freekick by Ireland was floated into the box but Blaikie saw his header come off the post and bounce out of play.


Newtown then took the lead from a set piece when the young Newtown winger got up well and rifled a brilliant header into the net from the penalty spot. Although against the run of play Chirnside didn’t let their heads go down and continued to press for a goal. Lauder then went clean through on goal again but once again he was thwarted by the goal keeper. Chirnside then hit the post again, with Turner rattling the post from another free kick. Chirnside then got the equaliser that they finally deserved when Turner got up ended in the box and a penalty was awarded. The big striker dusted himself down and dispatched the penalty. The final ten minutes saw both sides try and get an equaliser but neither side could create any clear cut chances.


On a more sour note, Chirnside have lost Dishington for a long period after results from his hospital visit showed he has shattered his medial ligament and tore his cruciate ligament. All at the club wish him well.