Date : 8th October 2011



Opposition : Duns Amateurs



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 6
2 Tom Ireland Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 8
4 Craig Dishington Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Keir Blaikie Centre Midfield 6
7 Graham Kelly Centre Midfield 6
8 Greg McCrudden Right Wing 6
9 Jack Windram Striker 6
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 6
11 Kevin Strachan Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Leigh Wood . .
14 Connor Lough on for A.Lauder 60 mins 5
15 Dod Blaikie . .
16 Jocky Turner on for G.McCrudden 70 mins 5
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 2



Scorers : J.Turner 2 (2 pens)



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 0






A win over their local rivals was a must for both Chirnside and Duns on Saturday - in the end they shared the spoils, Chirnside salvaging a point with two late penalties.


Both teams were looking to get the ball down on the greasy pitch and play some football. Duns' first notable chance came when Simpson had his header cleared off the line, then Tait found himself one on one with the keeper only to somehow slip the ball wide of the post.


At the other end Chirnside squandered a number of free kicks and were punished when Duns were awarded a free-kick just outside the box. Spoor stepped up to take it and his low drilled shot looked like it would be saved until it struck Chirnside defender Dishington and bounced into the net with keeper Jonny Cowe wrong footed.


With Chirnside hunting for the equaliser, finding Livingstone in fine form to deny them, Duns managed to get their second of the afternoon when Tait latched onto a slack back pass by Kelly and slipped the ball under the advancing keeper.


The first major talking point of the game came when Chirnside's Lauder was brought down in what looked like just inside the box. The referee adjudged the offence to have taken place outside the box and just a free-kick was awarded. Tom Ireland blasted his effort over the bar. With Strachan firing in some great crosses without there being any takers the scored remained 2-0 to Duns at half-time.


Both teams were quick out the blocks at the start of the second half and the game began to look like a derby with a few meatier challenges flying in which saw three Duns players in the book after 10 minutes of the restart. With Duns sitting back to try and hold on to their advantage Chirnside had the lions share of second half possession but seemed to be lacking ideas when they came into the last third of their opponents half.


Tait almost got himself on the score sheet again when he was first to react to another mix up at the back but his lobbed shot was cleared off the line by Dishington. With Duns under pressure the last thing they would have wanted was to be down to 10 men but that is exactly what happened with 15 minutes to go when Spoor was sent off for a second bookable offence following a two-footed lunge on Strachan.


With Blaikie and substitute Turner both up front now Chirnside had a bit more height to cause the Duns defence more problems but they still could find no way past the inpsired Livingstone in the Duns goal. They were given a lifeline however with five minutes to go when Chirnside left back Stobie was body checked in the box by Lackenby and Turner duly dispatched the resulting penalty.


In the last minute of injury time Stobie was once again felled in the box this time by Trickett and Turner calmy stroked the ball past Livingstone to make the final score 2-2.


Chirnside know if they are to have any hope of moving up the league they need to be more clinical in front of goal and their final ball has to be far better than on this showing, next up is a bottom of the table clash away to Newtown on Saturday.