Date : 24th September 2011



Opposition : Hawick Legion



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Johnny Cowe Goalkeeper 4
2 Kevin Strachan Right Back 4
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 4
4 Craig Dishington Sweeper 4
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 4
6 Chris Young Centre Midfield 4
7 Keir Blaikie Centre Midfield 4
8 Greg McCrudden Right Wing 4
9 Connor Lough Striker 4
10 Aidan Lauder Striker 4
11 Jack Windram Left Wing 4





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for C.Young 60 mins 4
14 Dod Blaikie . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 1 - 2



Scorers : G.Kelly (pen)



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside's dismal season continued on Saturday when they made the trip to Hawick to face Legion who had lost their previous six matches.


At the start of the day Chirnside had one point after their draw against Tweeddale the previous weekend and were looking to continue the form from that game that really should have brought them victory.


The away team were without Ireland with Strachan taking his slot at right back and to begin with looked the more likely of the teams to open the scoring through a series of crosses and corners but they were unable to take any of these opportunites. The home team came more into the game after this but never really threatended the home defence. The whole of the half was a bit of a non-event with no real clear cut chances being created.


The only worry for Chirnside was an injury to captain Young but he battled on till half time although he was clearly struggling.


The second half kicked off and Young could not continue any longer and his place was taken in the middle of the park by Kelly. The half time seemed to brighten up the home team and they looked far hungrier at the turn around. On the hour mark that hunger was rewarded when their central midfielder ran unopposed for 30 yards before unleashing a shot from distance that Cowe could only pad into the net.


Chirnside were given a lifeline ten minutes later when they were awarded a penalty but Lough's penalty was well saved by the Legion keeper. It didn't look like it was going to be Chirnside's day and Hawick were pushing for more goals with the away team looking lost.


In the last minute of normal time though Chirnside thought they'd got the equaliser they scarcely deserved. Lough was brought down in the box and Kelly made no mistake this time from the spot. However straight from the kick off Hawick went up the pitch and their left midfielder made a run into the box which was matched by Kelly. The Chirnside man lost his footing and stumbled and the Legion player went down, the referee pointed to the spot in what looked to be a pretty soft award. Windram was sent off for his protests and the Legion substitute midfielder sent Cowe the wrong way to seal their first victory of the season.


To compound Chirnside's disappointing day Young was diagnosed with a broken metatarsal which could keep him out of action for up to two months.