Date : 30th April 2011



Opposition : Hawick United



Competition : Waddell Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 Stevie Christie Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Paul Cowe Sweeper 7
5 Graham Kelly Centre Midfield 6
6 Chris Young Centre Midfield 6
7 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
8 Jordan Lauder Striker 7
9 Robbie Armstrong Striker 6
10 Adam Turner Striker 6
11 Leigh Wood Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Dod Blaikie on for A.Turner 80 mins 4
14 . . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 3



Scorers : J.Lauder (3), R.Armstrong, J.Windram



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside made the trip to Hawick on Saturday to play their 2nd Round Waddell Cup fixture with only 11 fit players with injured manager Blaikie being the only substitute.


The away team knew this was always going to be a difficult fixture as any game in Hawick is, even though their opponents were languishing in the B Division.


It was Chirnside who started the game better passing it about fairly well on the solid surface and it was no surprise they took the lead ten minutes in when Lauder finished off a flowing movement. Five minutes later Armstrong thought he'd made it two but the referee called for a goal-kick after the Chirnside striker lobbed the Utd goalkeeper with the ball hitting the back of the net, quite a bizarre decision but the least said about that the better.


Hawick came back into the game and had a shot touched on to the bar by Black and a cross headed off the line by Stobie. The away team punished them for not taking their chances when Armstrong shot home from 18 yards and then Lauder converted a penalty after A. Turner was bundled over in the box.


Chirnside looked to kill off the game early in the second half and Windram drilled home a left foot volley from close range to give the away side what looked a commanding lead. The away team should have added a few more to bury the game but they were guilty of poor finishing on more than one occasion.


Hawick eventually pulled one back on the hour mark when Black let a weak shot roll past him into the net. They added another with a header following a free-kick on the right and their lone striker scored a third when he shot home at the near post to give the home side belief that they could do the impossible and get an equaliser.


The hope was short lived though as Lauder completed his hat-trick when the keeper fumbled a cross from substitute G. Blaikie. That was nearly the last play of the game as Chirnside moved on to the 3rd round of the Cup.