Date : 5th February 2011



Opposition : Pencaitland



Competition : Border Cup



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 Paul Cowe Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
4 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
5 Kieran Blaikie Centre Midfield 5
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 6
7 Robbie Armstrong Right Wing 6
8 Jack Windram Striker 6
9 Graham Kelly Striker 5
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Jocky Turner on for J.Windram 75 mins 4
14 Kevin Strachan on for K.Blaikie 75 mins 4
15 M.Donaldson on for J.Lauder 90 mins 4
16 Adam Turner . .
17 Leigh Wood . .




Score : 2 - 4 (AET)



Scorers : J.Lauder (2)



Bookings : 5



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside failed to progress in the Border Cup after an extra time defeat at the hands of Pencaitland.


Chirnside started the brighter playing and should have been one nil up in the first two minutes, when Morrison threaded a ball through to Lauder who made it to the by line to cut back for Windram, only for the latter to tamely poke the ball into the goal keepers arms. Chirnside kept the pressure on and again were unlucky not to score after a cross from Young was headed over by Kelly.


Pencaitland gradually came back into the game as they finally got their passing game going but a solid Chirnside defence only allowed long range efforts on goal that rarely troubled Black in the homeside’s goal. With 30 minutes on the clock Chirnside got the break through that the game needed when a ball swung in from Windram was fumbled by the keeper after pressure from Kelly, allowed Lauder the simplest of task of tapping into an open goal.


Pencaitland however didn’t let their heads go down and upped their game for the last 15 minutes of the game but again the workman like Chirnside restricted them to long range efforts only.


Ht 1-0


The second half began in much the same fashion that the first had ended with Pencaitland doing much of the pressing. But once again they found it very difficult to break down the Chirnside team.


Chirnside were still dangerous on the break with the homeside enjoying some success down their right hand side. However the final ball in the last third was letting Chirnside down with a lot of wayward crosses being produced. The game turned into a rather boredom state with Pencaitland controlling much of the possession without any end product.


Chirnside then went close again to scoring but again Kelly failed to get his header on target from a Young corner. Pencaitland then equalised from a corner when some slack marking allowed the striker to bundle the ball over the line. This seemed to kick start Chirnside back into life and they pressed for another goal. They were soon rewarded when with 3 minutes to go some good work by Windram and Armstrong saw the ball break to Lauder who coolly passed the ball low into the left hand corner from 15 yards.


Chirnside thought the game was won but an additional 5 minutes of injury time was added from somewhere gave Pencaitland the time to respond. On the 5th minute of injury time Pencaitland were award a free kick some 30 yards from goal. From the resulting freekick, saw the ball land fortuitously at the feet of the Pencaitland striker for a simple tap in to equalise.


The game went into extra time with Pencaitland scoring in either half of the extra period to win the tie 2-4.


FT 2-4