Date : 23rd October 2010



Opposition : West Barns Star



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 5
2 Martin Donaldson Right Back 5
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
4 Dod Blaikie Centre Half 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 6
7 Leigh Wood Centre Midfield 6
8 Robbie Armstrong Right Wing 6
9 Dan Romanes Striker 5
10 Kevin Strachan Striker 5
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Adam Turner on for K.Strachan 60 mins 4
14 Ryan Purves . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 1 - 5



Scorers : R.Armstrong



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside slumped to a heavy defeat after coming up against a very attack minded West Barns side.


It was Chirnside that started the brighter and had a chance in the first 30 seconds to go one up after Morrison played Armstrong in through on goal; however the youngster was unable to connect with the ball. Chirnside continued to press West Barns on the tight seaside park and finally made the breakthrough when the West Barns defence were dispossessed of the ball on the edge of their box. The ball landed at Romanies’s feet who then played a ball through the inside left channel for Armstrong to challenge the keeper strongly and get the break of the ball to put the away side 1 up.


Chirnside’s lead was short lived, as within a matter of 30 seconds from the restart West Barns equalised when some slack marking by Chirnside saw the left winger make it into the box to square the ball for his fellow right winger for a simple tap in. Chirnside didn’t let there heads go down and should have took the lead again when good work by Armstrong and Strachan saw them set up Romanies for the simplest of tap ins from 3 yards but the striker on his weak side scuffed the ball back into the keepers arms. Black was then called into action at the other end as some slick counter attacking football by West Barns resulted in a free header at the back post for the striker but Black pulled off a good stop.


West Barns then took the lead in fortunate circumstances when a corner was swung in from the right to be met by Young with a powerful header only to see the ball rebound off the head of a West Barns player into the net off the bar. West Barns then had a couple of half chances to increase their lead but they failed to find a way past Black.


HT 2-1


West Barns started off the second half in a manner that would see them dominate the game to the end. West Barns pushed Chirnside back, with wave after wave of attacks as the inexperienced Chirnside side failed to match the runs of the West Barns full backs. Despite the pressure the Chirnside defence was under the home side failed to break them down and couldn’t add to their lead. However on the 70 minute mark disaster struck when Armstrong stupidly scythed down the West Barns midfielder 20 yards from goal and from the resulting free kick Black in the Chirnside goal made a hash of the attempted save and ball flew over his head into the net.


Chirnside then had a half chance to get back into the game when a flick on by Morrison landed at Christies feet who cut the ball back only to see West Barns scramble the ball away. Chirnside’s chances were now few and far between as West Barns continued to press for more goals. They eventually got their fourth when the ball was cut back from the by line to the on-rushing midfielder who lost his marker and tapped in from close range.


The fifth then arrived with the last kick of the ball when Black came to claim a cross and who again misjudged the flight of the ball and it bounced into the bottom corner of the goal.


FT 5-1