Date : 2nd October 2010



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 Martin Donaldson Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Dod Blaikie Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 8
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
7 Leigh Wood Centre Midfield 7
8 Robbie Armstrong Right Wing 7
9 Kieran Blaikie Striker 8
10 Dan Romanes Striker 8
11 Chris Young Left Wing 8





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Adam Turner on 75 mins 4
14 Kevin Strachan on 80 mins 3
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 3



Scorers : D.Romanes (3), L.Wood, R.Armstrong



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside entertained reigning league champions Leithen Rovers at Comrades Park on Saturday still looking for their first league victory of the season.


The away team hoped to continue their unbeaten start to the season whilst the homesters were hoping for a win to kickstart their faltering start to the season.


Chirnside loooked to catch their opponents cold and went on the attack straight from the off. Led by player-manager Dod Blaikie at Sweeper the men in green had early chances to score but Armstrong and Romaines were both unlucky. The first goal wasn't long in coming though and it was Romaines who pounced on a Keeper error to stab the ball home from close range.


On the quarter hour mark number two arrived, this time Romaines shot from 10 yards and the ball wriggled under the Keeper and creeped over the goal line.


Chirnside were all out attack now and Armstong this time got on the scoresheet after good work by Romaines and K. Blaikie. Wood got number four with a looping shot from 20 yards. Romaines completed his hat-trick on the half hour mark when he finished well after a good flick on by Morrison.


Leithen did have opportunities in the first half but Black made a couple of good blocks to deny the away strike force. But just as it looked as though the home team would go in 5-0 up Rovers struck just before the break with a goal from their pacy Striker.


The second half kicked off and Chirnside knew they'd have to deal with a barrage of Leithen attacks. The home Defence though held firm for most of the half with only a few half chances being allowed after an hour of play.


Leithen did pull a goal back with 20 minutes to go when their Midfielder blasted a shot past Black from 12 yards. Chirnside did have a few chances on the counter attack but the end product wasn't there like it was in the first half.


The goal scoring was complete with 10 minutes to go from a penalty after Armstong was harshly adjudged to have fouled the Leithen Striker in the box. The Central Midfielder tucked the spot kick away but that was to be the last goal of the game as Chirnside held out for the victory.