Date : 28th August 2010



Opposition : Hawick Waverley



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 Martin Donaldson Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Paul Cowe Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 8
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
7 Dan Romanes Centre Midfield 7
8 Kevin Strachan Right Wing 7
9 Adam Turner Striker 7
10 Kieran Blaikie Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Robbie Armstrong on for K.Blaikie 75 mins 5
14 Leigh Wood . .
15 Chris Cowe . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 2



Scorers : D.Romanes, S.Christie



Bookings : 3



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside drew there second consecutive game in another hard fought battle against Hawick Waverley at Comrades Park.


Chirnside began the game playing into the wind and they started the game brightly moving the ball around well on the deck. The first ten minutes saw Chirnside have the majority of the play and they were awarded for their efforts by a well worked free kick that saw Cowe loft the ball to the back post for Young to head back across goal for Romaines to tap in from 6 yards. Romaines then was unlucky not to score again when a good cross from Strachan was met by the big hitman but a fantastic finger tip save kept the score at 1 nil.


Against the run of play Waverley equalised when a break up field and some poor marking resulted in the striker heading in at the back post from close range. Chirnside didn’t let their heads go down and almost immediately the goal advantage back when a great ball by full back Donaldson set Turner away but again another fine save from the keeper kept Chirnside at bay. However with ten minutes to go before half time Chirnside regained the lead, again from another set piece with Christie heading in from close range from a Strachan corner. Chirnside then had another couple of half chances to increase there lead but poor finishing kept the score at 2-1.


HT 2-1


Waverley began the second half the brighter of the two teams with them also finding it easier playing into the wind and keeping the ball on the deck. Waverley tried to press for an equaliser but for all their early dominance of possession they failed to test Black in the Chirnside goal. Chirnside however were making the Waverley keeper work but good handling from the Hawick man kept Chirnside from increasing their lead.


However Waverley did finally equalise on the 70 minute mark when a shot from 20 yards from the striker flew into the roof of the net to make it 2 all. Waverley’s tails were now up as they had their best spell of the game as they pressed the Chirnside back line. Again they were failing to make Black really work in the Chirnside goal.


Waverley then had a great chance to score when Black tripped the striker in the box but the Chirnside keeper redeemed himself with a fantastic save low down to his left. Waverley continued there good spell of pressure and hit the woodwork with another long range effort on the 80th minute. Chirnside having weathered the storm rallied and put Waverley under pressure for the last ten minutes trying to find the winner. First up substitute Armstrong raced through on goal but pulled his shot wide of the target with his first touch of the ball. Chirnside then thought they were going to score after a good cross from Young saw Strachan try to volley the ball into the goal from 4 yards when a header would have been the better option and the ball sailed out for a goal kick. Strachan then had another further half chance but saw his shot saved by the keeper in the dying minutes.


FT 2-2