Date : 15th August 2010



Opposition : Eyemouth



Competition : Matt Simpson Memorial Cup Final



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 5
2 Martin Donaldson Right Back 6
3 Ryan Purves Left Back 6
4 Paul Cowe Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 6
7 Paul Johnson Centre Midfield 6
8 Kevin Strachan Right Wing 6
9 Adam Turner Striker 6
10 Dan Romaines Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 5





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Mark Bolton on for Adam Turner 80 mins 5
14 Liam Renton . .
15 Graham Patterson . .
16 Leigh Wood on for Paul Johnson 60 mins 6
17 . . .




Score : 3 - 4



Scorers : D.Romaines, K.Strachan, P.Johnson



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside and Eyemouth contested the final of the Matt Simpson Memorial Trophy in perfect playing conditions at Comrades Park on Sunday night.


The home team made four changes from the sem-final win against West Barns due to injuries and unavailability. It was Eyemouth who came out the blocks the quickest and after just five minutes they were 1-0 up. A long clearance was mis-judged by the Chirnside defence which let in the Eyemouth striker to blast the ball past Black in the home goal. Things didn't get much better for the home team as five minutes later they lost another goal. This time former Chirnside player Paul Black thundered home a drive from 20 yards.


Chirnside to their credit battled back and Strachan got their first of the night when he shot home from a tight angle. The home team were now beginning to find their feet and started putting the Eyemouth goal under some pressure. The equaliser arrived on the half hour mark with Romaines finishing from 12 yards after Turner had been played through on the Keeper.


The second half kicked off and and Chirnside started it the same way as the first half. A long ball was played through and Black in the home goal seemed to have it covered, however he juggled with the ball a couple times before losing it and allowing the Eyemouth Striker to hit home into an empty net.


Again Chirnside had to come from behind and this time it was veteran Midfielder Johnson who hooked a volley home into the top corner leaving the away Goalie with no chance.


Chirnside were now looking for a fourth and were pushing forward but they were hit on the counter attack by the pacey Eyemouth outfit and their substitute Striker stroked the ball past Black to regain the lead for the Fishermen.


The home team laid on the pressure in the last 20 minutes but a mixture of woeful finishing and good Goalkeeping kept them at bay. Eyemouth hung on to win the Cup proving they were the far more clinical team on the night.