Date : 10th August 2010



Opposition : West Barns Star



Competition : Matt Simpson Memorial Trophy - 1st Round



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 Martin Donaldson Right Back 7
3 Chris Young Left Back 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 7
7 Paul Johnson Centre Midfield 7
8 Robbie Armstrong Right Wing 6
9 Kieran Blaikie Striker 7
10 Dan Romaines Striker 7
11 Jamie Stobie Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Adam Turner on for Kieran Blaikie 70 mins 4
14 Liam Renton . .
15 Ryan Purves . .
16 Mark Brown . .
17 Leigh Wood . .




Score : 4 - 2



Scorers : G.Logan, D.Morrison, K.Blaikie, D.Romanes



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside kicked off their first pre-season game on Tuesday night against West Barns in The Matt Simpson Memorial Cup.


In a vastly changed team from the end of last season and Colts Manager Pete Morrison taking the temporary reigns Chirnside struggled in the first 10 minutes with West Barns looking like the team who had played a few friendlies already. It was no surprise then however when the away team took the lead after 12 minutes. A free-kick from 25 yards out was curled in off Black's left hand post leaving the Keeper rooted to the spot.


Chirnside came back into the game after this early setback and started playing some decent football. The equaliser came after 20 minutes with Logan shooting past the Keeper after good work from Romaines. The goal lifted the home teams spirits and it wasn't long before number two arrived. A deep cross from Armstrong on the right was met by Morrison and his diving header beat the Keeper despite him getting a hand to it. Young could have scored another but his left foot shot was well saved.


The ascendancy now was definitely with Chirnside after their shaky start and number three arrived 10 minutes before half-time. Blaikie was played through and his deft left foot lob left the West Barns number 1 with no chance.


The second half kicked off with West Barns pressing to pull a goal back. Although they had a fair amount of possession in the early stages Black in the Chirnside goal was rarely threatened. The home team made their first change of the night with 20 minutes to go and A. Turner came on to make an immediate impact. His run down the right set up Romaines but his shot was well blocked by the Keeper. Number four wasn't that long in coming though and Romaines slotted home after being played though by Stobie.


West Barns did score a consolation goal late on when their substitute Striker volleyed home after a cross from the right was deflected over. Chirnside now go on to play either Eyemouth or Greenlaw in the final on Sunday.