Date : 8th May 2010



Opposition : Stow



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 John McCutcheon Sweeper 7
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 7
6 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 8
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 6
9 Robbie Armstrong Striker 6
10 Kevin Strachan Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 8





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Gareth Henderson on for S.Kelly 60 mins 6
14 Jamie Wright on for R.Armstrong 75 mins 5
15 Stevie Christie . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 0



Scorers : S.Shennan, B.Stuart



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside gained three points and relegated Stow in there last meaningful league match of the season.


The game started in a rather leisurely fashion with both teams edging there way into the game with the odd heavy gust of wind. After 10 minutes Chirnside started to get into the flow with Young enjoying some joy on the left and delivering some inviting crosses which Chirnside failed to capitalise on. The first real chance of the game fell to Strachan but he made a mess of the low driven shot delivered by Shennan. Stow then had a half chance from the edge of the box but there long range effort failed to trouble Black in the Chirnside goal. Chances then went a begging for Chirnside as Shennan, Strachan, Armstrong and Young all failing to hit the target from inside the box.


The men in green though finally got the break through when a good delivery from a Young freekick was headed back across the goal by Stuart for Shennan to bundle over the line. The second goal was not long in coming when again a good cross from Young was headed into the back of the net from a tight angle by Stuart.


HT 0-2


The second half began in much the same fashion as the first had finished with Chirnside doing much of the attacking and Stow failing to trouble the away teams back line. Chances began to come thick and fast but poor finishing from Armstrong, Strachan and Shennan kept the score at two nil.


Chirnside then thought they had the their third goal of the game as the keeper made a mess of a cross from Strachan and palmed it over the line then hooked it back out of the net with his hand, however Chirnside’s celebrations were short lived as the ref chalked it off, indicating the ball had not crossed the line.


Chirnside then had the ball in the net again after a good cross from Stobie was met by Shennan who looked onside but the ref disagreed and chalked the goal off again.


Despite keeping Stow in their own half for long periods of the last 20 minutes Chirnside failed to extend their lead with poor finishing and rushes of blood to the head in front of goal from the front trio.


Defender John “Cutch” McCutcheon commented after the game “coming frae Kelsae a thought the shooting was mare suited to the boys down at Poynder Park when they hit the ball ower the bar, a thought a was playing in the wrong game”.


FT 0-2