Date : 1st May 2010



Opposition : Hawick Legion



Competition : Beveridge Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 7
3 John McCutcheon Left Back 5
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 8
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 8
6 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 8
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 8
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Robbie Armstrong Striker 6
10 Jocky Turner Striker 5
11 Chris Young Left Wing 8





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Gareth Henderson on for R.Armstrong 55 mins 6
14 Kevin Strachan . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 1



Scorers : B.Stuart (2)



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 2






Chirnside progressed through to the second round of the Beveridge Cup after a hard fought, eventful game that went into extra time away to Hawick Legion which also saw the papermakers play for an hour with nine men.


From the outset it was clear that the homeside were going to try and use there stifling tactics that they had used in previous games by playing one upfront and packing out the midfield. To an extent this worked but Chirnside were getting some joy down the right hand side with Shennan, Turner and Stobie combining well. Neither team was able to create any clear cut chances in the first 20 minutes as the game ebbed and flowed from end to end. Finally Legion decided to open there own game up a bit and tried to hit Chirnside on the counter however despite having some good breakaways there final ball was poor when it really mattered.


Chirnside then thought they had a penalty when Shennan was cleaned out by the home teams keeper but the ref amazingly waved this away and indicated he stopped play for the ball rolling rather indifferently and would like to check it. Chirnside now had the edge and thought they had taken the lead when from a corner the keeper made a hash of the catch and fumbled the ball to McCutcheon who bundled the ball over the line only for the ref to chalk it off while the men in green began to celebrate. To rub salt in the wounds, from the resulting restart Hawick ran up the pitch and scored.


HT 0-1


Chirnside began the second half keen to right the wrongs from the first half and pushed for the equaliser. Despite not having any real clear cut chances Chirnside continued to try and play themselves into the game by keeping Legion on the back foot. The away team then thought they had the equaliser but again some crazy refereeing denied the equaliser after Morrison volleyed the ball goal wards only for a deflection to take the ball onto the underside of the crossbar where it cannoned downwards across the line. Initially the ref gave the goal but again changed his mind as Chirnside celebrated.


Worse was to come when 5 minutes later the referee sent off two Chirnside players. McCutcheon was dismissed for a supposedly denying a goal scoring opportunity when he had clearly headed the ball back to the keeper and his momentum carried him into the attacker and Turner was also dismissed for reasons unknown after some long conversations with the referee.


Despite the set back Chirnside plodded on introducing Henderson on at left back and putting Morrison up top with Shennan. For the remainder of the game, Chirnside were well on top and there pressure finally paid off when they got an equaliser minutes before full time. The ball was played into Morrison but he was fouled from behind by the legion defender in the box, but again the referee failed to give the correct decision and gave a freekick on the line of the 18 yard box. From the resulting free kick and goal mouth scramble Stuart bundled the ball over the line to equalise.


FT 1-1


Extra Time


Chirnside continued to proceed with a 3-3-2 formation and it was paying dividends as they continued to press the Legion back line. However despite the pressure they couldn’t get any real shots on target and they went into half time of extra time still at one goal apiece.


The second half began in much the same vein with Chirnside doing much of the attacking. Finally there pressure and good work paid off when some good work by Stobie, Henderson and Shennan saw a cross delivered to the box for Stuart to arrive again in the box and tap the ball home from close range. Chirnside resorted to defensive mode for the last ten minutes of the match and held on for victory.


FT AET 1-2