Date : 27th March 2010



Opposition : Carluke Hearts



Competition : South Cup Semi Final



Location : Neutral (Innerleithen)




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 8
2 John McCutcheon Right Back 8
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 8
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 8
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 8
6 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 8
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 8
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 8
9 Andrew Ponder Striker 8
10 Jocky Turner Striker 8
11 Chris Young Left Wing 8





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Robbie Armstrong on for J.Turner 60 mins 5
14 Kevin Strachan . .
15 Gareth Henderson . .
16 Jason Luggett . .
17 David Lough . .




Score : 2 - 1



Scorers : B.Stuart, D.Morrison



Bookings : 1



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside took on Carluke Hearts in the semi-final of the South Cup at Innerleithen on Saturday and the Berwickshire team were looking to make it to their second final in successive years.


The first ten minutes of the game saw both teams set out their stall with Carluke looking to their experienced strike force to cause the Chirnside defence problems and Chirnside were looking to use the pace they had out wide to their advantage. It was the men in green who took the lead after 12 minutes when a throw in on the right was flicked on by Turner and then by Morrison to Stuart who cleverly guided his shot home into the far corner of the net. Five minutes later they doubled their lead when Morrison bundled home following a scramble in the Carluke six yard box. Chirnside were on the ascendency now and Shennan and Ponder were causing the Hearts defence problems whenever they got the ball. Black in the Chirnside goal was never really in that much bother during the first half but what came his way he dealt with.


The second half kicked off with the papermakers looking to kill the game off with the third goal. They thought they had it but Shennan's cut back to Ponder was blocked by a great last ditch lunge. Carluke were now throwing everything into attack and Black twice had to make block saves to deny their strikers. Hume then made a sliding challenge two yards out that prevented a certain goal. Chirnside were looking dangerous on the counter attack and were denied goal scoring opportunites by the over eager linesman on more than one occasion With fifteen minutes to go Black made another decent save tipping the ball over the bar after a shot from the edge of the 18 yard box.


Carluke then made sure of an edgy finish when their striker headed home with 10 minutes remaining on the clock. The Lanarkshire side threw everything they could at the Chirnside defence but they held firm for a satisfying victory. They will now go on to play either Newtongrange of Linton Hotspur in the final at the same venue.