Date : 6th March 2010



Opposition : Hawick Legion



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 John McCutcheon Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Robbie Armstrong Striker 6
10 Andrew Ponder Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Kevin Strachan on for R.Armstrong 80 mins 4
14 Jamie Wright on for S.Kelly 85 mins 4
15 Gav McLean . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 3 - 1



Scorers : S.Shennan (2, 1 pen), D.Morrison



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside returned to league action on Saturday and came away with a good win after a competitive game away against Hawick Legion.


Chirnside began the half kicking up the famous Legion slope. The first 15 minutes of the game were pretty scrappy with passing going astray and bobbles on the pitch making players look like they belong in the SPL rather than silky footballing Mecca of the Border Amateur leagues. Chirnside were having the majority of the play without creating any real chances in front of goal, but it was Hawick who got the first chance when a quick counter attack down the left flank saw the ball get cut back for the Legion striker but he was unable to control his shot and missed the target. Chirnside then had a chance but Ponder blasted wide from 18 yards.


Hawick continued to look dangerous on the counter and again they broke up field only to find that the final ball into the box lacked any real quality. Chirnside gradually came back into it and were unlucky not to go ahead when a looping effort from Stuart rattled the cross bar. Armstrong was then unlucky not to score when he picked up a loose ball from the Legion defence outside the area but his attempted chip just went over the crossbar. Legion were next to find themselves hitting the woodwork when a low rasping shot rattled off the bottom of the post with Black in the Chirnside goal well beaten.


Chirnside finally got the goal they had been looking for on the 30 minute mark when Young burst into the box only to be up ended by the centre defender. From the resulting penalty Shennan dispatched clinically. This seemed to perk up Chirnside and particularly Shennan whose bottom lip had been trailing on the ground for much of the half. The hitman was unlucky not to get his second minutes after when a good ball by Ponder released Shennan down the right but his shot was blocked by a Legion defender.


HT 0-1


The second half began with Chirnside coming out gun blazing and almost immediately they conjured up a chance but Young was unable to finish from a tight angle. Chirnside did however get there second goal when a break down the right by Armstrong saw him square the ball into the six yard box for Morrison, however with bodies flying everywhere the ball was turned net bound by the Legion defender but Morrison was able to get a touch on it to ease it over the line and claim his first goal of the season. Chirnside were now well on top and were unlucky not score again when a low shot from Young was cleared off the line by the home teams defence. Chirnside then should have had another penalty when from a corner Stuart headed a bullet header goal bound only to see the Legion sweeper use his hand to keep it out, however this went unnoticed and unpunished by the referee.


Chirnside continued to press for a third but chances were squandered by Armstrong, Ponder and Shennan. Then with 20 minutes left Chirnside got there third when a long throw by Young was flicked on by Morrison for Shennan to blast in a good effort from the edge of the box.


The shape of the game went a bit awol for the last 20 minutes with Legion throwing everyone forward to try and get something out the game. The Chirnside defence held firm and were looking on course for a clean sheet when 7 minutes from time the ref was fooled into awarding a penalty for what was a blatant bit of cheating by the Legion midfielder who took a dive in the box. The striker however stood up and dispatched the spot kick well.


For the remaining 5 minutes Chirnside defended well to record a good win away from home. Newcomer this season John “Cutchy” McCutcheon commented there has been a bit of debate between the lads if big Dunc really touched the ball over the line, but I knew when I seen him take off down the pitch like one of those giant hare’s from Coldingham beach he was always going to score.


FT 1-3