Date : 27th February 2010



Opposition : Lochar Thistle



Competition : South Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 7
3 John McCutcheon Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 7
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 9
9 Jocky Turner Striker 7
10 Andrew Ponder Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 8





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Robbie Armstrong on for J.Turner 75 mins 4
14 Kevin Strachan on for A.Ponder 85 mins 4
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 2



Scorers : S.Shennan (4), C.Young



Bookings : 2



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside made the long journey to Dumfries on Saturday to take on Lochar Thistle in this South Cup Quarter Final tie. The two teams met for the second time in two years and conditions were perfect for a decent game of football.


The first 10 minutes were pretty frantic with both teams looking to unleash their wingers into the action. It was the home team who had the first chance of the half but Black saved well down low and Christie cleared the danger. Shennan and Young were looking on form for the away team and Young was almost put clean through but he lost his footing at the last minute.


Chirnside took the lead after 25 minutes when Young once again broke clear his inital shot was saved by the Keeper but Shennan was first on the scene to fire in the rebound. Lochar almost equalised immediately but a free-kick from their Central Midfielder cracked the away bar with Black well beaten. They didn't have too long to wait though for the equaliser after the big Centre Forward shrugged off a few challenges to drill the ball home.


The second half kicked off and Chirnside had the slight wind behind their backs now. They took only two minutes to regain their lead when Shennan shot home from a tight angle. Number three wasn't long in coming and this time Young's left foot drive gave the home Keeper no chance.


It was all Chirnside now and Shennan added number four and his hat-trick with another neat finish past the goalie. Young nearly got his second of the game but his long range drive crashed back off the bar. Shennan got his fourth on the hour mark after a mazy run saw him past two players and he poked the ball home from 10 yards.


Turner should have added number six but he opted to pass the ball rather than shoot himself and the Defence ended up clearing the ball. The away team were then denied a penalty after the Keeper blatantly pulled Shennan back but the referee waved play on. To their credit Lochar never gave up and were rewarded in the last couple of minutes with a consolation goal after Black failed to deal with an inswinging corner and it was bundled home in off a Chirnside Defender.


Chirnside now go on to meet Carluke Hearts in an eagerly anticipated semi-final.