Date : 6th February 2010



Opposition : Hawick United



Competition : South Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 5
3 Chris Young Left Back 6
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 6
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 6
6 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 6
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 6
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 6
9 Jocky Turner Striker 7
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 7
11 Robbie Armstrong Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Kevin Strachan on for R.Armstrong 70 mins 4
14 Stuart Kelly on for J.Stobie 50 mins 4
15 Mickey Snowball on for B.Stuart 75 mins 4
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 7 - 3



Scorers : J.Turner (3 - 2 pens), S.Shennan (2), J.Lauder (2)



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside travelled to Hawick on Saturday to take on Utd in a re-scheduled South Cup tie.


The Berwickshire men were looking to take the next step forward in the cup they won last year. It was the away team who started off the brightest with Shennan making inroads down the right and linking up play well with Turner and Lauder. It was no surprise then that after five minutes the deadlock was broken when Lauder's left shoot strike curled into the bottom corner of the net. Hawick hit back though almost immediately when a free-kick from the left wasn't dealt with and the Utd Midfielder poked home at the back post. However only minutes after getting back on level terms Utd were reduced to 10 men when their Central Midfielder was given a straight red after a clash with Turner in the centre circle.


Chirnside regained the lead soon after when Turner scored a penalty after Shennan was tripped just inside the box. The away side were now looking to add to their lead and were finding a lot more space with the home team a man down. Shennan was benefiting from the extra room and added two goals in quick succession. The first saw him score with a shot into the bottom corner, the second was a deft chip over the keeper that nestled in the net. On the stroke of half-time Chirnside added number five when Turner met Armstrong's corner with a powerful header which gave the keeper no chance.


The second half kicked off with Utd looking the hungrier and during spells it looked as though they had the extra man. They pulled a goal back on 55 minutes when their Striker curled a great strike past Black in the Chirnside goal. The away teams nerves began to flutter even more when Hawick added number three. Black made a great initial save from a free-kick but the home Striker was first on the scene to bundle the ball home after a bit of a goalmouth scramble.


Chirnside began to breathe a little more easier after 70 minutes when Lauder who was playing his last game for the club shot under the keeper with his right foot. With 10 minutes remaning Shennan was tripped in the box again and Turner stepped up to completed his hat-trick. The Utd left back was sent off for dissent leaving the home team with only 9 players.


Veteran midfielfder Mickey Snowball made a cameo appearance near the end almost scoring with his first touch of the ball.


Chirnside now go on to meet either Gordon or Lochar Thistle in the Quarter Finals.