Date : 28th November 2009



Opposition : Gala Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 John McCutcheon Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 6
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Jordan Lauder Striker 7
10 Jocky Turner Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Robbie Armstrong on for J.Turner 75 mins 5
14 Kevin Strachan . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 4



Scorers : J.Turner (pen), J.Stobie, J.Lauder, B.Stuart, S.Shennan



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside were back on league duty on Saturday to take on Gala Rovers at Netherdale.


The away team stuck with the same side that defeated Pencaitland in the South Cup the weekend before and were looking to make up ground on Leithen Rovers who were playing their re-arranged South Cup tie with Stow.


It was the home team who began the game the better of the two in the heavy underfoot conditions. Although it was not the best day for passing football the Rovers still tried to play their usual game and were looking dangerous without really troubling Black in the Chirnside goal that much.


That all changed however after 20 minutes when Gala were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out. The Strikers effort was deflected off a Chirnside Defender into the path of a Rovers Midfielder to slot past Black for the opening goal. Two minutes later they doubled their advantage. The home team were awarded a penalty after the Referee adjudged Hume to have handled a cross whilst he was sliding in to block it. The Striker made no mistake from the spot sending the ball into the right hand corner of the net.


The away team seemed a bit shell-shocked and their ball retention and passing wouldn't have pleased the Management team. They were given a lifeline however with five minutes of the half remaining when another penalty was awarded this time for a push on Ponder. Turner stepped up and although the Keeper got a hand to it the ball still had the power to get over the line.


The second half started with Chirnside searching for the equalising goal but it was the home team that increased their lead after the Striker hit a shot from distance that managed to sneak under the body of Black into the net.


Almost immediately though Chirnside pulled a goal back when Turner played the ball inside to Stobie who controlled and hit the ball first time into the corner of the net. The game was really end to end stuff now and Rovers were awarded another penalty with Shennan being penalised this time for a late challenge on the Striker. He dusted himself down and scored from the spot again to make the score 4-2.


Chirnside never gave in and pulled a goal back on the hour mark through a Lauder header following a Young cross from the right. Five minutes later they equalised and this time it was a precision header from Stuart after Shennan had flicked the ball back into the box.


The away team took the lead for the first time in the game with 20 minutes to go when Shennan was put clean through and his shot just managed to squeeze over the line after the Keeper got a touch on the ball.


The Rovers were now pushing all into attack but Chirnside always looked dangerous on the counter. Shennan should have done better shooting wide after being put through one-on-one with the Keeper. Substitute Armstrong also had a chance in the dying stages but he spooned his left foot shot with the Keeper off his line.


The game ended with Chirnside coming home with the three points after another high scoring encounter.