Date : 7th November 2009



Opposition : Stow



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 John McCutcheon Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 6
9 Jordan Lauder Striker 6
10 Jocky Turner Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 8





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Robbie Armstrong on for J.Turner 70 mins 5
14 Kevin Strachan on for C.Young 80 mins 4
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 5 - 0



Scorers : C.Young, S.Shennan, J.Lauder (2 - 1 pen), R.Armstrong



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside got back to winning ways with a reasonably comfortable victory against Stow at Comrades Park. Chirnside began the game in determined fashion knocking the ball about well and putting the Stow back line under a bit of pressure. However despite having the lions share of the possession the home team failed to create any chances. Stow began to come more into the game, using there extra man in the middle to try and create some opportunities at goals themselves however they found Chirnside’s defence and midfield difficult to breakdown.


Chirnside then had the first real chance of the game but a good save by the Stow keeper kept the score level. Chirnside were dominating and on the 25 minute mark they got the breakthrough when some good battling by the ferret like Ponder saw the ball break to Young who drove into the box and shot past the Stow keeper into the roof of the net. Chirnside were now well on top but credit to Stow who never gave up and nearly got an equaliser when the ball broke to the striker in the box but a combination of Morrison and Christie cleared the ball to safety.


With 10 minutes to go before half time Chirnside got there second when a free kick from Morrison wasn’t dealt with by the Stow defence and the ball broke to Shennan who coolly drove the ball past the keeper.


HT 2-0


The second half began with Chirnside looking to kill the game off by getting that all important 3rd goal, something that hasn’t been happening in recent weeks. For a while it looked as if it was going to be a similar story for the men in green as despite all their pressure they could not find the goal to kill the game with Lauder, Turner and Stuart all having half chances. It wasn’t until the 70th minute that Chirnside got the goal they were looking for when substitute Armstrong coolly stuck the ball past the keeper after some good work by Young and Stobie. Armstrong was soon involved again but he was unlucky not too see his next shot go in after an excellent save down low by the Stow keeper. Shennan, Turner and Lauder then squandered further chances to increase the lead much to the frustration of the home crowd.


With 10 minutes to go Chirnside got their fourth when a good turn and shot by the lively Armstrong saw the ball rebound out to Lauder who from 3 yards out managed to stick the ball into the back of the net as the Comrades Park faithful held their breaths to make sure it went in.


Chirnside made another sub and introduced Young and wirey Kev “knock knock” Strachan, and he made an immediate impact picking the ball on the touch line and driving to the touchline where he crossed for school chum Armstrong but he couldn’t make the header.


Both Armstrong and Strachan continued make inroads into the Stow back line and some good play saw Shennan go one on one with the keeper, however the keeper pulled him down and from the resulting penalty Lauder scored.


Armstrong was again in the thick of the action and felt he should have had a penalty after being bundled to the ground while clean through on goal but the ref waved away his claims. Armstrong commented after the game “I thought it was a pen but people think I go down easy because I am just a wee man but that is not the case”


FT 5-0