Date : 17th October 2009



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 6
2 John McCutcheon Right Back 6
3 David Lough Left Back 6
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
6 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 5
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Jocky Turner Striker 6
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 5
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Robbie Armstrong on for B.Stuart 75 mins 4
14 Kevin Strachan . .
15 Graham Kelly on for J.Lauder 85 mins 4
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 4



Scorers : J.Lauder, Own Goal



Bookings : 3



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside blew the chance to inflict the first league defeat of the season on league leaders Leithen Rovers. Chirnside should have been at least 4 nil up at half time but Leithen showed why they are top of the league by clinically taking any half chances that fell to them.


The home side started off at a very fast pace and it was evident from the start that Leithen Rovers were struggling to get to grips with the game. The first chance for Chirnside wasn’t long in coming when they forced the first corner of the game but an unmarked Christie was unable to direct his free header goal bound after arriving late in the box. Chirnside continued to force the game and were attacking at every opportunity with Leithen unable to really get any sort of possession of the ball. Chirnside’s next chance then fell to Lauder who was put through by Shennan but the keeper saved well in the one on one. Lauder the had another great chance to score but he fumbled the ball between his legs in the six yard box and shot straight at the keeper, and from the resulting rebound Ponders shot was cleared off the line. Chirnside then finally got the goal they were looking for when a quick free kick by Morrison wasn’t dealt with by the Leithen defence and the ball managed to rebound off Lauder over the line.


Chirnside continued to press for another goal but Young had a shot well saved, Ponder also had a header well saved and McCutcheon was unlucky to see his header rebound off the post. However as the first half drew to a close it was evident that Leithen were still going to be a threat as a short corner resulted in the Leithen striker rattling the bar from the edge of the area.


HT 1-0


The second half began in more even fashion with both sides cancelling each other out for the first 15 minutes. Leithen then had their first real chance of the game as they broke upfield quickly after defending a Chirnside corner, however Black in the Chirnside goal made a triple save from the striker before the ball was eventually cleared to safety by Lough.


However 5 minutes later Leithen got the equaliser when a ball from the wing was crossed into the box and after a bit of a scramble the Leithen striker was on hand to drill the ball home. Leithen were now the team in the ascendancy and 5 minutes later got their second after a free kick was awarded on the edge of the box and the striker curled the ball round the wall into the bottom corner. Chirnside though almost immediately struck back when Shennan got to the by line and cut the ball back to Turner, but the big striker skied it from 10 yards. This proved to be the critical point in the game as Leithen proceeded to score another 2 goals in the following 10 minutes.


Chirnside did pull a goal back with 5 minutes to go after a header by Christie was fumbled over the line by the Leithen goalkeeper but it was too little too late for the men in green.


FT 2-4