Date : 19th September 2009



Opposition : Stow



Competition : Border Cup



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Stuart Black Goalkeeper 7
2 John McCutcheon Right Back 8
3 David Lough Left Back 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 6
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 6
8 Robbie Armstrong Right Wing 6
9 Jocky Turner Striker 6
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6





No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for J.Turner 80 mins 4
14 Jamie Stobie on for R.Armstrong 65 mins 4
15 Kevin Strachan . .
16 . . .
17 . . .




Score : 2 - 1



Scorers : J.Lauder, R.Armstrong



Bookings : 0



Sendings off : 0






Chirnside entertained Stow in the first round of the Border Cup on Saturday and were looking to take the first step in retaining the trophy they picked up last season.


The match was a repeat of last years final and both teams began the game by spreading the ball about well. It was the home team who had the first chance of the afternoon, Turner latched on to a through ball but the Stow keeper was out quick to block the Strikers shot on target.


Christie then had a chance from a corner but somehow he managed to put the ball over the bar from two yards out. Turner then missed another gilt edged opportunity when his header from close range flew over the bar. Young's lob also just missed the back post by a couple of yards.


However it was the away team against the run of play that took the lead with 10 minutes of the half remaining. The dangerous Central Midlfielder picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box and drove the ball past Black in the Chirnside goal to give the men in white the breakthrough.


Chirnside battled back and Turner was again denied this time by great save by the Stow Goalkeeper. Armstrong also saw his 25 yard effort parried by the keeper who was in fine form. Five minutes before half-time the home team eventually got the goal they deserved. Lauder's left foot strike through a ruck of bodies found the bottom right hand corner of the net.


The second half kicked off and the home team were straight on the attack again. After 55 minutes their persistance paid off when Armstrong was on hand at the back post to poke the ball home from close range.


Stow to their credit came back into the game and Black had to be at his best to block an effort from the away Striker after he went thorugh one on one. Chirnside tried to close out the game but struggled to get that elusive third goal with poor finishing and some inspired Goalkeeping keeping them at bay.


The game eventually ended 2-1 the same scoreline as the final last season.