have a junior team, the Chirnside Colts.">





Date : 19th May 2009



Opposition : Gordon



Competition : Waddell Cup Quarter Final



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 5
2 Paul Johnson Right Back 6
3 David Lough Left Back 6
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 6
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Jordan Lauder Striker 6
10 Des McKinnon Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Jocky Turner on for D.McKinnon 65 mins 4
14 Duncan Morrison . .
15 Mickey Snowball . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 2 - 4


Scorers : S.Shennan, A.Ponder


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside’s clean sweep of all silverware was ended by Gordon in the quarter finals of the Waddell Cup on Tuesday night.


Chirnside started the more brightly with Shennan and Young putting in some good balls from the flanks. It wasn’t long before the home side were in front when a good cross from Young was controlled by Shennan who turned and hit a good half volley from a tight angle. Chirnside were now on top and should have increased their lead when McKinnon missed two headers unmarked in the 6 yard box but the wee man couldn’t keep them down, with second being agonisingly close to hitting the net. Chirnside had dominated the first 20 minutes but Gordon soon came into the game and were looking lively up front and down the flanks. They were then unlucky not to score when a cross was met by their midfielder but he saw his shot rattle the crossbar. Gordon then equalised when a mix up between Lugget and Lough saw the ball go out for a corner and the resulting corner was headed home by the centre half. Chirnside then hit the bar after a Shennan drive from long range and the resulting rebound saw Gordon scramble it to safety.


HT 1-1


The second half began with Gordon coming out the blocks like a hare out a trap and almost scored immediately when the striker turned Hume in the box but he shot straight at Lugget. Gordon were looking the more likely to score and they soon took the lead when a corner was headed out to the edge of the box by the Chirnside only to be smashed home on the half volley by the Gordon midfielder. Chirnside pressed for an equaliser but were failing to find that final crucial pass to set up a chance. However they did have a golden opportunity to score when awarded a penalty but the usually reliable Turner saw his penalty rattle of the crossbar to safety much to Gordon’s relief. Chirnside were now having the lion’s share of possession and soon equalised when Young laid the ball back for Ponder who showed some never seen before composure to hit a beautiful strike into the back of the net from the edge of the box. Chirnside went in search of the winner but again despite their possession could not find a way past the well organised Gordon backline. The game was looking to be heading for extra-time but with 5 minutes to go Gordon scored when long kick up the park by Gordon saw a mix up between Hume and Lugget who collided and the ball bounced into the box for the striker to score. Then within a couple of minutes of the restart the same thing happened again when a long kick up field from Gordon saw Lugget and Lough get in a mix up and the ball bounce through for the other striker to have a tap in. This then sealed a good win for the B division side who, now progress to the semi finals. However it was not all doom and gloom for Chirnside as news of the result from Innerleithen filtered through and Chirnside had finally won the A division.


FT 2-4