have a junior team, the Chirnside Colts.">





Date : 21st March 2009



Opposition : Stow



Competition : Border Cup Final



Location : Neutral - Netherdale, Galashiels




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Paul Johnston Right Back 6
3 Chris Young Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 6
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 6
6 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 7
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 6
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
9 Jocky Turner Striker 7
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 6
11 Andrew Ponder Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon . .
14 Stuart Kelly . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 2 - 1


Scorers : J.Turner (2)


Bookings : 0


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside won the Border Cup for the second time in 3 years after a scrappy game at Netherdale on Saturday.


Right from the kick off it was apparent that it was going to be long game as Stow packed the midfield playing a 4-5-1 formation forcing Chirnside to go long.


The first 20 minutes saw both teams not giving to much away with neither side really having any clear cut chances on goal. Chirnside had a couple of half chances with both Turner and Lauder shooting from distance but they both failed to trouble the Stow goalkeeper. Stow’s tactics were working well with the men in green finding it difficult to get any sort of rhythm going to their passing game. Chirnside then had a half chance when Lauder broke into the box but his attempted cut back was cut out by the Stow defence and they managed to clear it to safety.


Finally in the 3rd minute of injury time of the first half Chirnside broke the deadlock when a long throw by Young into the box ended up landing at Turners feet and he managed to blast the ball low into the back of the net.


HT Stow 0 Chirnside 1


The second half began in much the same vein as the first a scrappy affair. Stow were still containing the game and Chirnside were not having much joy getting through the midfield. Stow then created one of their best chances of the game after some good work by the winger but the striker fluffed his attempted shot and the chance was gone.


Midway through the second half Chirnside had their best spell of the game when some good football saw Lauder blast a good chance over the bar then Turner clip the top of the bar after a good shot from the edge of the box. Chirnside then had what turned out to be the best chance of the game when a good ball by Morrison released Windram down the inside right channel who delivered a delightful ball to Ponder who was standing unmarked in the box but the little winger made a hash of the chance and hit the ball straight at the on rushing keeper. Ponder then had another chance with 10 minutes left after dribbling into the box but from a tight angle he blasted over the bar.


With only 4 minutes left Stow were granted a dubious free kick out on the right about 30 yards from goal. From the resulting free kick the Stow player managed to score with what looked like a cross come shot.


However this lifted Stow and almost straight from the kick off they had what would turned out to be their best chance of the game when the striker managed to turn Hume in the box and unleash a shot but Luggett pulled out a terrific save to guide it over the crossbar much to the dismay of the Stow faithful.


Stow were then dealt a major blow when with only thirty seconds left on the clock Turner won a freekick, he dusted himself down and curled the winner in off the crossbar much to the delight of the Chirnside support.


FT - Stow 1 Chirnside 2














Photographs kindly donated by freelance photographer Brian Sutherland.