have a junior team, the Chirnside Colts.">





Date : 14th March 2009



Opposition : Symington Tinto



Competition : South Cup Semi Final



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 8
3 David Lough Left Back 6
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 6
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
7 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 6
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Jack Windram Striker 7
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Paul Johnston on for A.Ponder 80 mins 4
14 Des McKinnon on for C.Young 75 mins 4
15 Jocky Turner . .
16 Stuart Kelly . .
17 . . .



Score : 5 - 2


Scorers : M.Hume (pen), S.Shennan (2), J.Windram, Own Goal


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside made it to the final of South of Scotland Cup for the first time in 4 years after a beating Symington Tinto in the semi finals at Innerleithen.


Chirnside got off to the worst possible start going a goal down in the first minute when a cross was swung in from the right which was mis-controlled by Stuart in the blustery condition, which allowed the striker to pounce and curl a shot low past Lugget.


The early setback didn’t affect Chirnside and the almost replied immediately when some good work by Windram saw him cut the ball back for Ponder but the “wee man” blasted over from six yards. Shennan was next to have a chance when he managed to dribble his way into the box but the winger missed the target.


However with 10 minutes gone Chirnside were level when Ponder was up ended in the box and a penalty was awarded that Hume dispatched with ease. Chirnside thought they had gone two up when Lauder played Windram through to score but the linesman had already put his flag up.


Chirnside were now on top and were unlucky not to make it 2-1 with Windram, Stobie and Shennan all having chances but lacking the composure to convert their opportunities. Shennan made up for his earlier misses by scoring Chirnside’s second goal after a good switch of play by Young released him and he dribbled in to the box to score.


HT - Chirnside 2 Symington Tinto 1


The second half began with Chirnside playing into the strong blustery wind and immediately they should have went 3 – 1 up when a good cross from Young was rattled off the crossbar by Windram. Chirnside continued to press in the opening exchanges of the 2nd half and were awarded for their pressure when a good cross from Stobie from the right was turned into his own net by the Symington defender. Three goals soon became four goals when a good clearance from Hume was latched on to by Windram who took off down the pitch like a rat down a drain pipe to coolly stroke the ball under the on rushing keeper.


Tinto to their credit did not let their heads drop and scored immediately when the break of the ball landed kindly for the midfielder on the edge of the box who blasted the ball past Lugget to make it 4-2.


After 15 minutes of frantic action to the start of the second half the game calmed down into midfield battle. Chirnside continued to press for another goal, with Shennan unlucky to see a good effort come back off the crossbar. Symington also had the odd half chance using the heavy tail wind to their advantage but none of them could find the killer touch to find the net. Chirnside then put the game beyond doubt when Windram broke down the right and crossed for Lauder who laid the ball back to Shennan to blast into the net.


Chirnside now look forward to playing either Hawick Legion or Muirkirk in the final.


FT - Chirnside 5 Symington Tinto 2