have a junior team, the Chirnside Colts.">





Date : 24th January 2009



Opposition : Newtown



Competition : South Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 7
3 David Lough Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Brian Stuart Centre Midfield 7
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Jocky Turner Striker 6
10 Jordan Lauder Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Paul Johnston . .
14 Des McKinnon . .
15 Stuart Kelly . .
16 Jack Windram on for J.Turner 65 mins 5
17 . . .



Score : 3 - 2 (AET)


Scorers : D.Morrison, J.Lauder, S.Shennan


Bookings : 3


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside travelled to Newtown to play the newly promoted side for the third time this season. On this occasion it was the South Cup with Chirnside looking to progress further than they have done in the last couple of seasons.


Chirnside started brightly and were straight on the attack with Turner having a long range effort which failed to trouble the Newtown keeper. Newtown were struggling to get any good possession with Chirnside keeping the ball well and causing them problems all across the pitch. Chirnside wingers Shennan and Young were now coming more and more into the game, both players swinging in good crosses for Turner and Lauder but the two big strikers failed to get any clear shots on goal. Lauder then had a glancing header fly just over the crossbar form a Young corner.


With 30 minutes gone in the first half Chirnside grabbed the opening goal when a good knock down by Turner was scrappily defended by the Newtown defence and Morrison was on hand to stab the ball home. Chirnside continued to press for a second goal but efforts from Lauder, Shennan and Turner failed to trouble the Newtown keeper.


HT 0-1


Newtown started the second half brightly and were soon on the attack but the striker made a hash of the finish and failed to make Chirnside keeper Lugget work. Newtown definitely had the upper hand now and with their persistent and often ludicrous fans urging them to leave the boot in the Newtown players continued to press for an equaliser. The home side then got the equaliser they deserved when a good ball down the left saw the stiker who had been having a mare up until this point steer a delightful shot into the far bottom corner of Luggets goal.


Chirnside were now struggling to keep with the Newtown side that were playing some decent football in spells. However with 15 minutes still to go in the second half the Newtown team decided to listen to the touchline, who have been giving the men wearing the jerseys a some what unjustified reputation of late. On this occasion however the home team started to kick anything that moved and were lucky not to have a man sent off for a straight red after a bad straight legged tackle which only received a booking. Newtown midfield were now getting away with numerous fouls that were going unpunished but in among all this they did manage to make Lugget in the Chirnside goal palm a good header from the Newtown centre half on to the bar to keep the scores level.


FT 1-1


The first half of extra time began in a pretty slow fashion compared to how the second half finished. Newtown did take the lead with 5 minutes gone in the first half of extra time when a soft foul was given against Hume on the edge of the box and the Newtown striker made no mistake in placing the ball in the bottom corner.


This seemed to wake Chirnside up and some good work from the Chirnside back 4 saw Shennan break down the park who then laid the ball off to Lauder who cut inside and buried the ball in off the post to level the scores up. This fired up Chirnside even more and within minutes they could have went 2-3 up when the ball broke for Lauder in front of an empty goal but the young striker managed to put the ball past the post.


Half Time, Extra Time HT 2-2


Chirnside started off the second period of extra time the way they finished the first and they were soon 2-3 up when a great run by Shennan saw him blast a great shot in from 20 yards. There was only one winner now and it wasn’t long before another chance came the way of the men in green when Morrison released Windram through on goal but again he missed the target completely. Newtown were now a spent force and Chirnside should have scored again when Shennan burst into the six yard box but he blasted over from close range. Chirnside then saw out the rest of the game to take a hard fought victory in a pretty entertaining game.


Extra time FT 2-3