have a junior team, the Chirnside Colts.">





Date : 4th October 2008



Opposition : Hawick Waverley



Competition : League



Location : Home



Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Paul Johnson Right Back 6
3 David Lough Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Stevie Christie Centre Half 7
6 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 6
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
9 Jocky Turner Striker 8
10 Andrew Ponder Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon on for P.Johnson 5
14 Darren Flannigan on for G.Logan 5
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 5 - 1


Scorers : J.Turner 4 (1 pen), D.Morrison


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside got their second victory of the season after a good performance on a wet and windy day at Comrades Park.


The home side started with the wind behind their backs and pushed forward right from the first whistle. Chirnsides first chance was not long in coming when a quick counter attack saw the ball land at Turners feet but the usually clinical hitman managed to drag his shot wide of the open goal.


Waverley were having a hard time of getting into the game with Chirnside playing some delightful football, it was inevitable that the paper makers were going to score. Sure enough on the 10 minute mark Chirnside got the breakthrough when awarded a corner. Ponder swung in a great whipping corner and Turner rose like a salmon to head the ball home to make it one nil.


Chirnside were very much in the ascendency and it wasn’t long when they scored again, Shennan played a clever one two with Turner only to be up ended in the box by Waverley player. Mr Turner duly stood up and buried the penalty to make it two nil. Turner was now looking for a hatrick and was unlucky not to get it after again meeting a Ponder corner but this time the keeper saved well. However the third was not long in coming when Ponder swung in another great corner which found its way to the back post for Morrison to blast home for his first of the season.


Chirnside were now in full flight and a good ball from Shennan sent Turner through on goal to coolly put the ball past the keeper to grab his hatrick and put the Berwickshire side 4 nil up within half an hour.


To Waverley’s credit they continued to battle hard and had a good 10 minutes of pressure towards the end of the half but some good defending kept them at bay.


HT 4-0


The second half began with Waverley trying to push for the early goal but the Chirnside defence held firm.


The men in green managed to get back into a bit of rhythm and it wasn’t long before another chance fell their way. Again it fell to Shennan but again he squandered the chance blasting wide from close range.


The game was now becoming very much stretched and Waverley got a goal back when a penalty was given after a theatrical dive in the box by the Waverley striker. Chirnside didn’t let this affect them and had another number of chances but they failed to convert, Young, Shennan and Turner being the culprits this time. Chirnside finally got the fifth goal when Morrison released Shennan down the right and he cut the ball back for Turner who controlled it and unleashed an unstoppable toe poke into the roof of the net.


FT 5-1