have a junior team, the Chirnside Colts.">





Date : 13th September 2008



Opposition : Gala Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Sufi Omari Goalkeeper 8
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 6
3 Paul Johnston Left Back 6
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 7
6 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 7
7 Duncan Morrison Centre Midfield 7
8 Jamie Stobie Right Wing 6
9 Des McKinnon Striker 6
10 Jack Windram Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 David Lough on for P.Johnson 45 mins 6
14 Ryan Purves . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 2 - 3


Scorers : Logan, Windram


Bookings : 5


Sendings off : 2





A weakened Chirnside team will feel unlucky not to have a got at least a point out of this incident packed game on Saturday where the referee was at the heart of the problems.


The game began pretty evenly with Gala playing their usual style and trying to knock the ball about at the back. Neither side were really creating any clear cut chances as the game went from end to end at a furious pace. Chirnside had the first half chance as a through ball from Kelly nearly saw McKinnon get on the end of hit but the Gala keeper saved at his feet. At the other end Gala tested Omari in the Chirnside goal with a couple of long range efforts.


With the sides pretty evenly matched Chirnside took the lead when a good corner from Young was met by Logan to power home at the back post. Chirnside were now in the ascendancy and could have gone two up but the keeper saved well from Windram.


Gala continued have a lot of possession but never really threatened the Chirnside goal until with 10 minutes left they broke into the box and the keeper managed to scuff the ball into the net after a slight mishit.


This was a set back for Chirnside but they did not let their heads go down and could of went in at half time in the lead but McKinnon squandered a brilliant chance after some good work by Morrison and Windram.


HT 1 – 1


The second half began with Gala having the majority of the possession but again they failed to create in clear cut chances. Chirnside were finding it difficult to get in the game especially as some dubious decisions were given against the home side by the referee.


The home side continued to battle one and started to come more into the game. They Chirnside men should then have taken the lead when McKinnon managed to dispossess the full back tight on the by line but instead of pulling the ball back for Windram to tap in he opted for goal himself but rifled into the side netting.


The game was now becoming very stretched with both sides trying to hit each other on the counter attack. It was Chirnside who managed to take the lead when a Gala corner was cleared by Morrison to McKinnon who then threaded a ball to Windram rushing down the inside right channel and the young striker unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net to make it 2-1.


With Chirnside again in the ascendancy they pushed for more goals, but the game was to be turned on its head by refereeing decisions that were increasingly looking being biased to the away side.


Gala then evened up the scores when a throw-in that was blatantly obvious was a throw-in for the homeside was given to the away team who then broke up the pitch and scored after some good play by the away teams’ winger.


Again Chirnside did not let their heads go down and pushed to take the lead and should have had a penalty when a clumsy challenge into the back of Windram saw the striker go down but to the amazement of everyone nothing was given. The controversy did not end their as from the resulting break up field by Gala, saw them awarded a penalty after it was clearly obvious that the Gala player was offside and also handled the ball when running into the box only to be pulled down in the box. Gala Rovers then dispatched the penalty much to the disgust of Chirnside who saw a number of players booked.


The game was now threatening to boil over and Gala were awarded another penalty which they missed but Chirnside were sent down to 9 men after Kelly and Windram were sent off.


Chirnside still pushed for an equaliser in the last 10 mins but the away team held firm to take the points leaving the Chirnside faithful in dismay at the refereeing they witnessed.