Date : 12th April 2008



Opposition : West Barns Star



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Paul Johnson Right Back 5
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 8
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
7 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 8
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
9 Steven Shennan Striker 7
10 Graeme Turner Striker 8
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for J.Windram 83 mins 2
14 Des McKinnon . .
15 David Heads on for P.Johnson 80 mins 2
16 Mickey Snowball . .
17 . . .



Score : 3 - 2


Scorers : G.Turner (2), D.Morrison


Bookings : 0


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside got back to winning ways after a recent run of bad results with a hard fought win against West Barns Star. Chirnside started the game very quickly and were one up within in 5 minutes when a good ball from Shennan released Turner who confidently stuck the ball in the back of the net.


Chirnside continued with their early pressure and were unlucky not score again when a good header from Young was cleared off the line by the West Barns defence. This scare seemed to waken West Barns up and they started to pose more of an attacking threat. Star were then unlucky not score when a good run by their right back saw him fire a good cross, across the 6 yard box but the arriving striker was just a second to late and the chance passed. West Barns were now in the ascendancy and were having some joy down the right hand side where again the full back managed to fire a dangerous cross across thee six yard box, this time West Barns equalised to make it 1-1.


Chirnside then took the lead again when Morrison scored a spectacular acrobatic volley from a Young freekick to make it 2 - 1. Chirnside then had two great chances to increase their lead. First Shennan put a lame effort past the post with just the keeper to beat and then Ponder did the same after a good drive into the box.


HT 2 - 1


The second half began with neither team having any real quality possession. However in the increasingly blustery conditions West Barns started to press the Chirnside back line but the papermakers defence held firm. Against the run of play Chirnside had what was the best chance of the half when Turner released Young through on goal but the midfielder tried to square the ball when a shot at goal looked the easier option. With time ticking away both sides were finding it difficult to create any real goal scoring opportunities in the windy conditions.


West Barns then finally got the equaliser with 7 minutes to go when some good play saw the ball laid off to their striker to blast home from just inside the box. Chirnside now had to push for a winner and with only seconds remaining Turner scored at the back post after the West Barns keeper who had been outstanding all day fumbled a freekick and Turner managed to prod the ball over the line to clinch the win.

FT 3 - 2