Date : 15th March 2008



Opposition : Hawick Waverley



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 7
3 Duncan Morrison Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 6
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 8
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 7
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
9 Des McKinnon Striker 5
10 Graham Kelly Striker 5
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 David Heads on for D.McKinnon 75 mins 4
14 Graeme Turner on for G.Kelly 25 mins 4
15 Paul Johnson . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 2 - 2


Scorers : S.Shennan, J.Windram


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside managed to maintain their unbeaten record this season after a last minute equaliser.


Chirnside started the game brightly and were knocking the ball about and keeping possession well. They were almost rewarded for their early pressure when some good work by Windram and Stobie released Shennan but the hitman was unlucky to see his shot get deflected past the post. With Hawick struggling to get any foothold in the game Chirnside continued to knock the ball about confidently and McKinnon was unlucky when a good ball across the six yard box from Shennan got stuck under the little strikers feet with the goal gaping. Hawick finally came into the game when a ball into the box was deflected into the path of the Waverley striker but Lugget in the Chirnside goal managed to save well at his feet. Chirnside then lost G.Kelly to injury and he was replaced by Turner. Chirnside continued to have the lion’s share of the possession but couldn’t capitalise on this and were restricted to a few long range efforts while at the other end Waverley were struggling to create any chances at all.


HT 0-0


The second half began again with Chirnside having the majority of the possession but again they failed to capitalise with Turner having the best chance to score but he blasted his shot against the man on the line. Against the run of play Chirnside went behind when a seemingly harmless ball was floated into the six yard box from the half way line but this was misjudged by Lugget and Christie and the striker was able to head the ball into the back of the net over Lugget who was caught in no mans land.


This seemed to spur Waverley on and they were soon 2 goals up when the central midfielder blasted a good shot into the bottom left hand corner of the goal from the edge of the box.


Chirnside then made an immediate change putting Shennan up front and bringing on heads into the middle of the park. The change made almost immediate effect when Turner crossed for Shennan to volley the ball home with 17 minutes left.


Chirnside then had a stonewall penalty turned down when Ponder broke into the box only to be scythed from behind but unbelievably the ref gave nothing, much to the disgust of the away support.


The paper makers were now pushing hard for an equaliser but poor finishing let them down, first Turner was clean through with the keeper to beat but he made a mess of it and lost control of the ball. Ponder then had what was the best chance of the half when a free kick was driven in by Turner but Ponder couldn’t direct the ball over the line from 2 yards out.


With only 3 minutes left Chirnside grabbed the equaliser when a good through ball from Turner released Windram and he calmly placed the ball under the on rushing keeper from 20 yards out.


FT 2 - 2