Date : 16th February 2008



Opposition : Ancrum



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
4 Gary Logan Sweeper 6
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 6
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 6
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 5
9 Graham Kelly Striker 5
10 Graeme Turner Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 5




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Chris Cowe on for J.Windram 80 mins 2
14 Des McKinnon on for C.Young 85 mins 2
15 Mickey Snowball on for G.Kelly 65 mins 4
16 Paul Johnson not used .
17 . . .



Score : 3 - 1


Scorers : J. Windram, G.Kelly, S.Shennan


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 1





Chirnside turned in another poor performance against bottom side Ancrum but managed to scrape a 3 – 1 win.


Chirnside started brightly with Windram attacking down the right wing and cutting the ball back to the penalty spot but G.Kelly took a fresh air swipe at the ball and the chance passed him by. However all was not lost, with Kelly missing the ball it flew through to Young on the left wing, who put in a great ball to the back post for Shennan 3 yards out with an open goal, but somehow the usually lethal hitman had a horrendous miss and rattled the ball of the post.


Chirnside continued to attack and on the 10 minute mark a cross by Turner was turned into the net by Windram after the slightest of touches sent it goal bound to make it 1 – 0 nil for the men in green. The game continued with Chirnside doing much of the attacking but Ancrum were looking dangerous on the break but some resolute defending from the Chirnside back line kept the visitors out.


Clear cut chances were few and far between with Turner, G.Kelly, Shennan and Windram all having half chances to add a second goal but as has been the story for much of the season bad finishing was proving a problem.


HT 1 – 0


The second half began with Ancrum coming quick out the blocks and putting Chirnside on the back foot. Ancrum were enjoying the lions share of the possession but they could not create any clear cut chances. Bad finishing was again going to cause Chirnside their biggest problem with Logan, G.Kelly, Shennan, Turner, Young and Windram all going close.


Ancrum continued to battle hard and were having slightly more possession but again failed to create any clear cut chances. Chirnside on the other hand were at the least creating a half chance on every attack and they were soon 2 – 0 up. A good through ball from Turner saw G.Kelly race clear, where he showed some rare good control and composure to round the keeper and tap the ball into the open net.


With Chirnside now cruising Windram had a good chance to increase the lead but he screwed his shot passed the post after cutting in from the right hand side. Ancrum then pulled a goal back with 15 minutes to go. This seemed to spur them and and they continued to push for an equaliser. Chirnside were then dealt another blow when S.Kelly was sent off for a second bookable offence.


However with Ancrum pushing forward and leaving gaps at the back, Shennan managed to race clear with a one on one with the keeper but again the Chirnside man made a mess of it and hit it straight at the keeper. With the home crowd getting restless and the paper makers under a bit of pressure, Shennan finally made amends for his two terrible misses when one on one again with the Ancrum keeper he managed to round him and tap into the empty net.


Chirnside then managed to see out the remaining 5 minutes of the game and take victory 3 – 1.


Injured defender Paul Johnston commented “It’s hard to blame any individuals for the missed chances, every team member needs to work on their finishing, and it showed today”