Date : 9th February 2008



Opposition : Selkirk Victoria



Competition : Beveridge Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
4 Paul Johnson Sweeper 5
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 6
6 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 7
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 6
9 Graham Kelly Striker 5
10 Graeme Turner Striker 6
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Jack Windram on for P.Johnson 20 mins 6
14 Des McKinnon on for G.Kelly 65 mins 4
15 Chris Cowe . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 2 - 1


Scorers : G.Logan, J.Windram


Bookings : 0


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside travelled to Selkirk for the first meeting between the two clubs in many years in the Beveridge Cup.


The game started with Selkirk flying out the blocks and going immediately on the attack. They were unlucky not score when a snap shot from the striker saw the ball scrape past the post. With game going at a frantic pace it was again Selkirk going on the attack and they were unlucky again in front of goal when a fumble by Lugget in the Chirnside goal saw the ball break to the Selkirk striker with an open goal to aim at but a brilliant last ditch tackle by Chirnside sweeper Johnson prevented a goal. Chirnside began to come into the game and some good link up play between Kelly and Shennan on the right and Stobie and Young on the left was beginning to create some chances for Turner and G.Kelly up front. The first real chance for the men in green saw G.Kelly break through to the edge of the 18 yard box after some good play by Turner but a timely tackle by the Selkirk centre half prevented him getting a shot off.


Chirnside were now applying pressure to the Selkirk defence and finally got a goal after a succession of corners from Ponder saw Logan finally get on the end of one to head home from close range. Chirnside were now on top and should have scored again but Shennan missed a sitter with the goal gaping. Young, G.Kelly, Ponder and Turner also went close but the score remained at 0-1 for the away side. The men in green were then forced to make a change when Windram had to replace the injured Johnson and within ten minutes of coming on he was on the score sheet when some bad defending from the home side saw him score with a tap in from 2 yards out.


HT 0-2.


The second half began with Chirnside going on the attack and were unlucky not to score when again Windram had what looked like a tap in from 3 yards out but the young winger managed to hit it straight at the keeper. Chirnside continued to attack but again bad finishing and some brilliant keeping from the selkirk keeper kept them in the game. With 60 minutes now played Selkirk started to take control of the game and for the next 20 minutes gave Chirnside the run around with some slick passing and sharp movement off the ball, however they couldn't create many chances and only managed to score one goal on 80 minutes. Chirnside were then again unlucky not to score themselves when a good move saw Ponder burst into the six yard box only to dribble the ball into the post, Turner was also unlucky when a good finger tip save prevented the big striker getting on the score sheet.


FT 1-2