Date : 26th January 2008



Opposition : Leithen Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Paul Johnson Sweeper 8
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 6
6 Gary Logan Centre Midfield 8
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
9 Graham Kelly Striker 6
10 Graeme Turner Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 7




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Chris Cowe sub for G.Logan 75 mins 2
14 Des McKinnon sub for C.Young 82 mins 3
15 Kevin Strachan sub for A.Ponder 90 mins 1
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 3 - 2


Scorers : G.Turner, G.Logan 2


Bookings : 0


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside travelled to Innerleithen on Saturday keen to maintain their unbeaten run in the league.


The game started with Leithen Rovers having the kick off and they immediately went on the attack. The home side were unlucky not be in front early on when some sloppy play up front from Chirnside allowed Leithen Rovers to make a quick counter attack but the striker shot wide from 8 yards out. It was all one way traffic and again the home striker broke away again but this time he was thwarted by Lugget in the Chirnside goal. On the 10 minute mark Leithen Rovers finally got their reward for the early pressure when some sloppy tackling allowed the ball to be cut back from the penalty spot and the arriving home side midfielder blasted the ball goal bound only for it to deflect off the unlucky Lugget in off the post.


Leithen Rovers were then unlucky not to go two up 2 minutes later when from a corner the centre half arrived only to head the ball off the crossbar much to Chirnside relief.


With the initial ten mins of the game past Chirnside began to come into the game and were unlucky not to score with a few half chances from Turner and G.Kelly bringing saves from the home side keeper. The first real chance for Chirnside came when a good corner from Young was whipped in only for Turner to complete miss the ball from 6 yards out totally unmarked.


With Chirnside looking dangerous from set pieces another good chance arrived from a Young corner when a beautifully flighted ball to the back post saw G.Kelly arrive to hit the ball on the volley only for the keeper to pull off a good save. Minutes later Chirnside again had another chance from a corner but big centre half Christie headed over from close range.


HT 1-0


The second half began with Chirnside continuing to attack to try and get the game back on level terms. Turner was unlucky not to do so when a good through ball by Ponder released Turner but his lack of pace allowed the the defender back to make a good block.


Chirnside then got back on level terms when a good flick on by Windram was held up well by G.Kelly who in turn laid it into the path of the Ponder who drove into the box to setup Turner who tapped in the equaliser from close range.


The game then went from end to end with both teams looking to get into the lead but it was Chirnside who were looking more dangerous with Stobie and Young starting to pull the strings down the left hand side.


Chirnside finally took the lead on the 70th minute when a beautifully lofted ball into the inside left channel from Stobie saw Young hit a cracking strike on the half volley only for the keeper to pull off a good save but Young was able to collect the rebound and lay it off to Logan to tap the ball home.


Young was again unlucky not to score himself when a similar move to the goal saw Young again have a good shot saved by the keeper.


With Chirnside now in the lead the home side tried to up the pace and were unlucky with a couple of half chances not to work Lugget in the Chirnside goal better.


Chirnside then increased there lead further, when again some good work by Stobie and Young released Turner down the left and he cut the ball back again to Logan who blasted into the back of the net to make it 3-1 with 10 minutes to go.


The home side then pushed to try and get back into the game but it wasn't until the 90th minute that they pulled a goal back but by that time the game was over.


Stand in skipper Jocky Turner commented 'it was a good result today considering the players we had missing but it shows what a good squad we have this season'


FT 2-3