Date : 5th January 2008



Opposition : Duns Amateurs



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Paul Johnson Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 6
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 6
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 7
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 5
9 Des McKinnon Striker 6
10 Graeme Turner Striker 7
11 Chris Young Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Graham Kelly on for S.Kelly 60 mins 4
14 Mickey Snowball on for J.Windram 70 mins 4
15 Kevin Strachan . .
16 David Heads . .



Score : 2 - 1


Scorers : Own Goal, S.Shennan


Bookings : 2


Sendings off : 1





Chirnside entertained local rivals Duns at a blustery Comrades Park on Saturday and were pleased to come away with a narrow victory.


Chirnside began the game with the wind on their backs and were immediately on the attack and McKinnon should have done better after some good work by Ponder and Turner but his tame shot was easily saved. The next chance and one of many fell to Turner but his effort was saved by the Duns keeper. With the chances coming thick and fast for the home side it only seemed like a matter of time before Chirnside went one up. However some lame finishing and bad luck particularly from Turner who hit the post and the bar and missed 3 one on ones kept the scores level.


Duns although defending for the majority of the first could have went ahead with 10 mins remaining in the first half when a mistimed header by S.Kelly saw the Duns left winger shoot from a tight angle only to see his shot flash past the far post.


HT 0-0


The second half began as expected with Duns going straight on the attack and putting the Chirnside back line under a bit of pressure, however the defence easily dealt with anything Duns could throw at them. With chances few and far between, Chirnside were then denied a stonewall penalty when Shennan was upended in the box, but to both sides shock no penalty was awarded. Chirnside were again haunted by horrendous finishing with the ball sitting a yard from the goal line and the goal gaping both Windram and G.Kelly both swung at fresh air to completely miss the ball and the chance passed.


Duns then had a couple of long range efforts before Chirnside finally broke the deadlock when a delicate chip forward by Young was collected by Turner who fired a cross straight across the face of the goal only for the Duns centre half to score an O.G.


Chirnside then had another half chance to make it two nil but the home side failed to capitalise. Duns then got an equaliser when a long ball towards the box was missed by Chirnside keeper Lugget and now full back McKinnon allowing the Duns player to flick the ball on for the striker to score the equaliser. Protests of offside from the Chirnside players saw Johnson booked and again to the shock of everyone another ludicrous decision by the ref saw stand in captain Hume sent off.


This decision seemed to spur on Chirnside and almost immediately from the retake Shennan gathered the ball in his own half and dribbled into the Duns box but his poor pass resulted in a partial clearance by the Duns defence only to be picked up by McKinnon who laid it off to Ponder who drove towards the box and played a beautiful through ball to Shennan who calmly slid the ball home to seal the win.


FT 2-1