Date : 17th November 2007



Opposition : Peebles Amateurs



Competition : South Cup



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 7
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 9
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 8
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
9 Graeme Turner Striker 7
10 Des McKinnon Striker 6
11 David Heads Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Paul Johnson . .
14 Chris Young on for D.Heads 45 mins 6
15 Kevin Strachan on for J.Windram 75 mins 6
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 6 - 0


Scorers : S.Shennan (4), D.Heads, D.McKinnon


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside progressed comfortably through to the next round of the South Cup with a 6 - 0 win over Peebles Amateurs at Comrades Park at the weekend.


Chirnside began the game with the wind behind them playing up the famous Comrades Park slope and straight away they put Peebles on the back foot. Chirnside were rewarded for their early pressure when some good work by Stobie and Turner resulted in Turner drilling in a low cross for Shennan to blast home for close range. Chirnside should have been two up minutes later when a cross by McKinnon saw Ponder have seemingly an easy tap in but the little midfielder made a hash of it and blasted it over from 3 yards. Poor finishing was again to cost Chirnside when what could be miss of the season from Turner happened. The big striker was put through by Ponder where he managed to round the keeper and dribble towards the open goal but just as he went to put the ball in the net it got a bobble and he blasted high, wide and handsome with the goal gaping.


This seemed to spur Peebles on and they had a good ten minute spell camped in Chirnside's half but they couldn't make their pressure count and never tested Lugget in the Chirnside goal. Chirnside then went two up when a corner from Turner went straight through the box to the opposite side of the pitch to be picked up by Heads who fired in a ball that found its way into the net, whether it was meant or not is another matter.


The rest of the half was played out with Chirnside having much of the game with only Shennan and Turner having a couple of half chances each to increase the score.


HT 2 - 0


The second half began with Young coming on for Heads for Chirnside. However it was Peebles that started the stronger and had a good 10 minute a spell in the Chirnside half but again were unable to really test Lugget in the Chirnside goal. With 15 minutes gone into the second half Chirnside grabbed their third of the game when a quick break saw Turner thread the ball through for Shennan to run onto and the midfielder gladly stuck the ball into the net for his second of the game.


Chirnside's 4th goal of the game arrived when good work by Kelly saw him create a chance for McKinnon to guide the ball home from the resulting cross. The 5th and 6th goals were soon to arrive both scored by Shennan and setup by Young and Windram respectively.


FT 6 - 0