Date : 3rd November 2007



Opposition : Gala Rovers



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 4
3 Paul Johnson Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 8
6 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 8
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 6
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 6
9 Graeme Turner Striker 6
10 Graham Kelly Striker 7
11 Gary Logan Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon on for G.Logan half time 7
14 Chris Young . .
15 . . .
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 1 - 1


Scorers : J.Windram


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 1





Chirnside travelled to league leaders Gala Rovers on Saturday confident of retaining there unbeaten start to the league campaign.


The game started pretty evenly with both sides feeling their way into the game. Chirnside started to take the game by the scruff of the neck and the first clear cut chance of the game after some good work by Windram and Stobie released Shennan down the right flank and he delivered a superb cross to Kelly’s head but the big striker headed over the bar from 4 yards with the goal gaping. This was a let off for Gala Rovers and they started to come into the game and were rewarded for their efforts when Hume pulled down the Gala player in the box to give away a penalty. However from the resulting spot kick the penalty taker blasted the ball high, wide and handsome to let Hume off the hook.


Chirnside were now pushing hard for the opener and probably the best chance of the game fell to Shennan and the normally critical hitman blasted over an open goal from 5 yards much to the dismay of the Chirnside support. Chirnside then again had a half chance to score when Turner fizzed in a delightful cross from the left hand side but Windram was inches away from connecting at the back post. With the game approaching half time the turning point came when Stobie was shown a straight red for obscene language directed at the referee after the ref ran into him while on the attack.


This resulted in Chirnside closing ranks for the remaining few minutes of the half.


HT 0 – 0


The second half began with Chirnside making a change with Des McKinnon coming on for the injured Logan and Turner going to the left wing and Kelly playing upfront on his own.


As expected Gala were straight on the attack and had a lot of possession but the Chirnside back line held firm and dealt with everything that was thrown at them.


Gala saw a few half chances and penalty box scrambles pass them by but they never really looked scoring. Chirnside although doing a lot of defending were managing to attack at every opportunity with Kelly holding the ball well up front and allowing support to arrive from the midfield. The first real chance of the half fell to Windram but his left foot shot was easily saved by the Gala keeper.


With the game going from end to end Chirnside finally made the breakthrough on the 70 minute mark when a corner from Turner was bundled across the line at the back post by Windram.


Windram then had a glorious chance to double the lead after his fancy footwork created some pace for a shot but again his left foot shot lacked power and the keeper made a comfortable safe.


With ten minutes of the game remaining gala were pushing heavily for an equaliser but again they were not really capable of creating a clear cut chance against the impressive Chirnside defence.


With the game into injury time Shennan had a chance to clear the ball up the pitch from his own box but decided to let it run out of play from a goal kick which looked a good decision until the ref continued with his shocking display and awarded a corner much to the surprise of everyone on the pitch.


From the resulting corner and scramble the attempted clearance by Windram saw it rebound off the back the Gala Rovers players and bounce helplessly into the goal, making it 1 – 1, with only a minute to play.


The game ended 1 – 1.


Turner for Chirnside commented “We should have had the game buried but again our poor finishing let us down, however we would have took a draw at half time after being down to ten men. The manner of the draws makes it feel like a defeat though, I’m gutted.”