Date : 20th October 2007



Opposition : Kelloholm



Competition : South Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Paul Johnson Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 7
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 6
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 6
8 Andrew Ponder Right Wing 5
9 Jack Windram Striker 5
10 Graham Kelly Striker 5
11 David Heads Left Wing 5




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Chris Cowe on for J.Windram 70 mins 4
14 Stuart Kelly on for P.Johnson 80 mins 3
15 Chris Young on for D.Heads 80 mins 3
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 4 - 0


Scorers : G.Kelly (2), Own goal, A.Ponder


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





A long bus trip saw Chirnside take on Dumfries and Galloway side Kelloholm in the first round of the South Cup on Saturday. The men in green were pleased to come away with a win.


Chirnside began the game kicking up the hill on the narrow Kelloholm pitch. The first 10mins was a relatively uneventful affair with both sides feeling their way into the game. However a goal nearly arrived for the home side when, what looked like an normal clearance by the home side defence took a huge bounce in the Chirnside box over keeper Lugget to hit the bar. Chirnside recovering from the early scare raced up the pitch for Windram to shoot wide after a good run into the inside right channel after some good work by Shennan.


The home side were then unlucky with a similar effort that just scraped past the post. Chirnside eventually started to get to grips with the game and chance were starting to arrive. Windram was first to go close with two efforts saved by the keeper. Then Kelly was unlucky not to score from a header. Chirnside then finally broke the deadlock right on half time when again good work by Shennan allowed G.Kelly to blast the ball low into the bottom right of the goals from just inside the box.


HT 1-0


Chirnside started the second half as they had finished the first by going straight on the attack and were unlucky not to double their league when the keeper made a great save from Windram again. Windram then helped in the second goal after a good run into the box saw the Kelloholm defender put in a great tackle only for the ball to rebound in off his team mate. Chirnside then added their 3rd goal soon after when Ponder blasted home from close range. Chirnside were unlucky not to add a fourth with G.Kelly and Ponder both going close. With only a couple of minutes of the game remaining G.Kellly broke clear to smash the ball into the net for number 4 for the away side.


With the game seemingly over and the 90 mins up the ref somehow found 10 minutes injury time and into the 97th minute of the game Chirnside were awarded a penalty which Hume stepped up to take but again for the 2nd time this season the defender failed to score with the keeper saving to his right.


The game was then finally called to a halt on the 100 minute mark.


FT 0-4