Date : 29th September 2007



Opposition : Duns Amateurs



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Paul Johnson Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 9
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 8
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 8
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 8
8 Jack Windram Right Wing 7
9 Graham Kelly Striker 7
10 Graeme Turner Striker 7
11 Andrew Ponder Left Wing 7




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon on for G.Turner 75 mins 4
14 Chris Cowe on for M.Snowball 65 mins 5
15 Stuart Kelly . .



Score : 1 - 0


Scorers : J.Stobie


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside travelled to local rivals Duns on Saturday looking to bounce back after two disappointing results in recent weeks. Chirnside made a couple of changes from the previous week with Snowball and Windram returning to the side with Heads and Cowe dropping out.


The game started of on a fairly even keel with neither side really taking control of the game and a lot of the ball being played in the air. Chances were few and far between with both sides only really challenging from set pieces and the odd long range effort.


The first good chance of the game arrived for Chirnside after some good work by Shennan and Ponder resulted in Kelly going clean through on goal and for the third week in succession the big striker made a mess of the one on one with a lame shot straight at the keeper. Chirnside were now starting to get slightly on top and were awarded a corner that Ponder swung in only to headed straight back out to him but at the second attempt he picked out the arriving Turner for a diving header but the striker missed the target by inches and another chance went a begging. Next it was Duns turn to miss a good chance when good work by the right winger resulted in Brydon blasting past from six yards out.


With 10mins of the half remaining Chirnside opened the scoring when again Duns failed to completely clear a corner and Shennan managed to chip the ball back in to the back post for full back Stobie to control and blast the ball in off the post to give the men in green a one nil lead and some strange celebrations lead by Mr Stobie himself.


The remainder of the half was played out with very few incidents with both sides cancelling each other out.


HT 0-1


The second half again began with much the same consistency as the first with both sides not creating any clear cut chances, with Duns being limited to a few long range efforts and Chirnside having some half chances for Turner, Kelly and the lively Windram who was coming more into the game.


Duns then had a glorious opportunity to score when they were awarded an indirect free kick on the penalty spot after a crazy decision by the ref but the Duns strike force managed to make a real hash of it and blasted straight at the substantial Chirnside wall.


On the 75 minute mark Turner was replaced by McKinnon and the “wee man” made an instant impact with his driving runs at the Duns back line. McKinnon was unlucky not to set up Kelly when after a mazy dribble eluding three Duns defenders he miss-hit a cut back when Kelly was standing unmarked in the six yard box.


Windram was then unlucky not to get at least a free kick when he went clean through only to be brought down right on the edge of the box, but the ref chose to wave play on.


With Duns very rarely creating a clear cut chance Chirnside managed to break up field and McKinnon was sent clean through with only the keeper to beat but he put the ball in the side netting. This lead to an edgy last few minutes for Chirnside as Duns went on the attack.


With the game well into injury time with ref having found 5 minutes from somewhere Duns had 4 corners on the bounce and they very nearly scored when an unmarked Keenan had his header cleared off the line by Shennan.


The final whistle was finally blown and Chirnside went home victorious after the first Derby of the season.


Manager Gav McLean commented “we were unlucky not to get another goal as we had a couple of good clear cut chances but like last week our finishing let us down, at least it didn’t come back and bite us this week”.