Date : 15th September 2007



Opposition : Coldstream Amateurs



Competition : Border Cup



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 8
2 Chris Cowe Right Back 6
3 Chris Young Left Back 6
4 Paul Johnson Sweeper 6
5 Steven Christie Centre Half 7
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 6
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 7
8 Jamie Stobie Right Wing 7
9 Graham Kelly Striker 5
10 Graeme Turner Striker 6
11 Jack Windram Left Wing 5




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon on for G.Kelly 85 mins 2
14 Stuart Kelly . .
15 David Heads on for J.Windram 70 mins 2
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 0 - 2


Scorers : None


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 1





Chirnside sufferred their first defeat of the season away to Coldstream in the first round of the Border Cup and really only have themselves to blame after some poor finishing.

Game started brightly for Chirnside and they should have gone one nil up in the first 2 minutes when G.Kelly was through on goal with the keeper to beat but he manage to screw his shot past the post. The misery of the eary miss was then confounded only a minute later when a good ball through from Turner set up Kelly again one on one, only for the big striker to get in a tangle and his attempted shot was scuffed past the post without makong the keeper work. Chirnside were well on top in the first 20 mins and had Coldstream pegged back in their own half and only poor finishing by Windram, Turner, Kelly, Stobie and Shennan kept the score at 0-0.

On the 20 minute mark however Coldtream started to come back into and were unlucky not to go one up when a goal was chalked off for a supposed offside. This seemed to spur Coldstream on and they started to dominate the remainder of the half and again were unlucky not to score when the woodwork came to Chirnside's rescue.

HT 0-0

The second half began again as a fairly even contest with neither side really creating any clear cut chances. The first chance of the second half again fell to Kelly after some good work by Turner who laid on a cross for Kelly to tap the ball home but he somehow managed to hit the post. Coldstream were then next to have a chance but a good double save from Lugget kept Chirnside in the game. Chirnside then had the ball in the back of the net but Turner was adjudged to have used his arm to score and he received a yellow card for his troubles.

On the 75 minute mark the game was to change when Shennan gave away a needless penalty in the box and Coldstream duly dispatched it into the bottom corner.

Chirnside then went straight up the pitch and scored again through what looked like a good header from Shennan, but the ref again disallowed it and gave a foul against Shennan this time much to the dismay of the away support.

Things went from bad to worse with Snowball then being sent off for a second yellow and then Coldstream got their second of the game with a quick break away after a Chirnside attack broke down and the striker raced clear to finish off the game.

G.Kelly commented 'we could of had the game dead and buried after ten minutes but our finishing touches just weren't there today'.