Date : 8th September 2007



Opposition : Hawick Legion



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 7
3 Steven Christie Left Back 3
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Paul Johnson Centre Half 6
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 6
7 Steven Shennan Centre Midfield 7
8 Andrew Ponder Right Wing 6
9 Graham Kelly Striker 6
10 Jack Windram Striker 6
11 Graeme Turner Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 David Heads . .
14 Chris Young sub for S. Christie 10 mins 6
15 Des McKinnon sub for G.Kelly 80 mins 4
16 . . .
17 . . .



Score : 4 - 2


Scorers : G.Kelly, G.Turner, J.Windram, A.Ponder


Bookings : 3


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside played their first home game of the season on Saturday and were made to battle all the way before overcoming early league leaders Hawick Legion. Chirnside in their change top of maroon and blue were under the kosh from the start and didn't seem able to cope with Legion's five man midfield. The away team took the lead after five minutes when the Centre Forward hit a wayward shot which cannoned off a defender into the path off an onrushing midfielder who made no mistake from 10 yards. His blasted finish left keeper Luggett with no chance.


The home team did eventually find their feet and Turner thought he'd scored the equaliser but the Hawick keeper made a great diving save. Legion then nearly doubled their advanatge when the Centre Forward, who looked well offside, went clean through but Luggett did well to save at his feet and avert the danger.


The second half saw Chirnside pushing forward in search of the equaliser but it was the away side who doubled their advantage on 55 minutes. The Central Midfielder broke through, rounded keeper Luggett and scored from an acute angle to secure his and his teams second of the day.


The home team never let their heads go down and 10 minutes later they pulled one back when G.Kelly shot through a ruck of bodies into the roof of the net. Chirnside were now pressing forward at every opportunity and it was no surprise they equalised when Turner showed great pace to take the ball round the keeper and tap the ball into the empty net. G.Kelly though he'd given Chirnside the lead with 15 minutes to go but his header came back off the bar. The home team didn't have to wait too much longer though as the third came minutes later when Windram finished off Stobie's nod down.


Chirnside added a fourth late on when Ponder hit a low shot past the Legion keeper after being put through by Shennan. The home team management will be pleased with the result and the performance in the second half when the players kept going right to the end in the hot conditions.