Date : 17th April 2007



Opposition : Duns



Competition : League



Location : Home




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 6
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 7
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 7
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 7
5 Chris Cowe Centre Half 6
6 Mark Bolton Centre Midfield 6
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
8 David Heads Left Wing 7
9 Steven Shennan Right Wing 8
10 Graeme Turner Striker 6
11 Graham Kelly Striker 5




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Des McKinnon Sub for G.Kelly 85 mins 4
14 Jack Windram . .
15 Martin Donaldson . .
16 Chris Young . .
17 Steven Christie . .



Score : 2 - 3


Scorers : S.Shennan, G.Turner


Bookings : 3


Sendings off : 0





The last local derby of the season did not fail to disappoint in terms of entertainment, which can mostly be credited to terrible refereeing which contributed heavily to the final outcome of the game. The game started brightly for the Duns side, applying pressure on the Chirnside defence for the first 15 minutes of the game and were unlucky not to score having to chance cleared off the line and an effort of the bar.


Chirnside finally got into the game on the 20 minute mark and managed to force a corner which resulted in Shennan firing over the bar from a snap shot. Chirnside then finally broke the deadlock on the 25 minute mark when a clearance from Morrison was picked up by Shennan on the right wing and after a fine solo run into the middle of the box managed to drill the ball in of the post. This seemed to spur Chirnside on even further and on 30 minutes Jocky Turner bent a fine freekick round the wall and into the top left hand corner of the goal, leaving the keeper no chance. At this point Chirnside were looking comfortable and Duns were struggling to create any clear cut scoring opportunities.


However controvesy was about to surround the game in the final minute of the first half, when a ball was floated into the Chirnside area and it was cleared to the edge of the box, where the Duns defender was grappling with Stobie in a challenge with the ball and both ended up in a heap on the ground, with neither team appealing for a penalty or a free kick the referee then gave the away side a penalty to the shock of the 200 strong crowd inside Comrades Park. Duns dually dispatched the penalty and left the Chirnside team enraged and led to the booking of Lugget in the goals. The Referee then blew for half time after the penalty.


Chirnside kicked off the second half and immediately lost the ball to a Duns side obviously lifted by the penalty before half time and they were immediately on the attack and went close with a header from the striker but this was saved well by Lugget. Chirnside finally got back in to the game and put the Duns defence under pressure. Chirnside finally put this pressure to good use when some neat footwork from Turner saw him dribble into the box where he was blatantly tripped, at first the referee looked as if he had pointed to the penalty spot but then again to the shock of the 200 strong crowd a goal kick was awarded. This decison again led to the caution of another Chirnside player for airing there disappointment at the decision.


Chirnside did not let this send there heads down and had two half chances to score when Shennan squared the ball for G.Kelly in the six yard box but he waited too long and was easily tackled, then shortly after a corner flighted in from the right was met by Turner 12 yards out but he could not manage to keep his header down and it flew over the bar. Duns then equalised when a cross from the right was deflected into the path of the Duns Strkier to slide the ball past Lugget.


Duns then should of been down to ten men when Shennan picked up the ball in the middle of the park and knocked the ball through the defence and continued his run only to be taken out at thigh height by the opposing player when the ball was a good 15 yards away. The Duns player headed for the shower room straight away but the referee called him back only to issue a yellow card. Again this provoked a reaction from the Chirside players and crowd and again another two Chirnside players were booked. Duns again then pushed for the winner in the final 10mins and had Chirnside constantly on the back foot. They finally got the breakthrough with 7 mins remaining when the referee gave a freekick when the Duns midfielder looked to have dived. Duns then scored from the set piece where they had been dangerous all game to make it 3-2 to the away side.


Chirnside tried to push for the equaliser but Duns managed to see out the final 5 minutes of the game. An aggrieved Chirniside fan commented "without a shadow of a doubt the two shocking penalty decision's changed the course of the game"