Date : 3rd March 2007



Opposition : West Barns Star



Competition : Border Cup Final



Location : Neutral - Gala Fairydean




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 7
2 Chris Cowe Right Back 6
3 Duncan Morrison Left Back 7
4 Gary Logan Centre Half 7
5 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 6
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 7
8 Mark Bolton Left Wing 6
9 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
10 Graeme Turner Striker 6
11 Graham Kelly Striker 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Craig Dishington on for M.Snowball 65 mins 5
14 Des McKinnon on for G.Kelly 75 mins 4
15 David Heads on for A.Ponder 80 mins 3
16 Steven Christie . .
17 Jack Windram . .



Score : 6 - 0


Scorers : A.Ponder, S.Shennan 2, M.Bolton (pen), C.Dishington, G.Turner


Bookings : 0


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside romped home to victory in the final of the Border Cup against 10 man West Barns at Netherdale on Saturday. The Berwickshire team were looking for their first piece of silverware since they won the Beveridge Cup in 2005.


Jocky Turner returned to the starting line up after missing the last two games through suspension. The first half hour was a pretty edgy affair with neither team in the ascendancy. The only real chance of note was when Chirnside hit on the break but Shennan failed to find Turner with his pass.


The game burst into life 10 minutes before half-time when following a corner on the right Ponder smacked a right foot shot high into the net to give the lead to the men in green. West Barns then had a man sent off when their left back was given a straight red for a rash challenge out on the touchline.


Into the second half Chirnside tried to make their extra man count and they doubled their lead when Bolton blasted home a penalty after G.Kelly was taken down in the box. More gaps were appearing in the West Barns defence and it was no surprise when Shennan made it number three. Turner made it four with a left foot shot from 12 yards and substitute Dishington added number five with an exquisite finish from just inside the box.


Shennan rounded off the scoring 20 minutes from time with a low right foot shot. G.Kelly could have added another late on but the keeper saved well. Chirnside will be happy to have taken the first trophy of the season and will hope they can take this form into the league where they have slipped up of late.


Victorious Captain Duncan Morrison said: "Things were pretty tight in the first half but once they went down to 10 men the play opened up and we were able to exploit the gaps at the back."