Date : 17th February 2007



Opposition : Hawick Legion



Competition : League



Location : Away




Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Lugget Goalkeeper 5
2 Jamie Stobie Right Back 6
3 Chris Young Left Back 6
4 Mark Hume Sweeper 7
5 Duncan Morrison Centre Half 7
6 Mickey Snowball Centre Midfield 7
7 Andrew Ponder Centre Midfield 6
8 Jack Windram Striker 6
9 Steven Shennan Right Wing 7
10 Mark Bolton Striker 7
11 David Heads Left Wing 6




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Chris Cowe sub for J.Windram 60 Mins 6
14 Steven Christie sub for D.Morrison 65 Mins 5
15 Des McKinnon . .
16 . . .



Score : 2 - 3


Scorers : S.Shennan, C.Cowe


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 0





Chirnside were made to pay for poor defending as they were defeated by Hawick Legion on Saturday. The home team started well and they adapted to the heavy conditions far better than the Berwickshire outfit. It was no surprise that after 10 minutes Legion took the lead when the Centre-Half rose unchallenged to head home from six yards.


They doubled their lead moments later when Morrison's back header was intercepted and the Centre Forward rounded Luggett to slot the ball home. This woke Chirnside up and Shennan started to cause the home defence problems down the right. They pulled a goal back with 10 minutes remaining when Shennan fired home after having his initial shot blocked.


Chirnside then had two penalty appeals turned down by the referee which incensed the men in green. The away team thought they had equalised on the stroke of half-time but Windram somehow managed to put the ball over the bar from six yards out. The second half kicked off with the away team in the ascendency but they couldn't find a way past the home keeper.


Hawick then had a man sent off when he kicked out at Snowball on the ground. With the extra man Chirnside pushed forward at every opportunity and they equalised when Shennan squared the ball to substitute Cowe who finished with ease. At this stage it only looked like there was goin to be one winner and Cowe was unlucky to see his cross come shot hit the bar and bounce to safety.


Windram then went down after being challenged in the box but the referee waved away the appeals. With 10 minutes to go after a quickly taken free-kick Hawick regained the lead. There was confusion in the away defence and again the Centre-Forward rounded Luggett to score his second. Chirnside then had another penalty appeal turned down when Ponder appeared to be tripped in the box but the referee again waved played on.


Shennan almost snatched an equaliser at the death but his header from Ponder's pin-point cross sailed inches wide. Midfielder David Heads said: "That was a very disappointing result especially as they were down to 10 men for half an hour. I felt we had a strong claim for at least 3 penalties but it wasn't to be. I think i'll stay in the night and have a couple yoghurts."