Date : 6th January 2007



Opposition : Pencaitland



Competition : League



Location : Home



Chirnside Starting Team


No. Name Position Rating
1 Jason Luggett Goalkeeper 5
2 Stuart Kelly Right Back 6
3 Jamie Stobie Left Back 6
4 Duncan Morrison Sweeper 5
5 Chris Cowe Centre Half 5
6 Mark Bolton Centre Midfield 5
7 Craig Dishington Centre Midfield 5
8 Steven Shennan Right Wing 6
9 Graham Kelly Striker 5
10 Graeme Turner Striker 5
11 Jack Windram Left Wing 5




No. Name Comments Rating
12 Chris Young Sub M.Bolton 75 mins 2
14 Des McKinnon Sub for J.Windram 80 mins 2
15 David Heads . .



Score : 1 - 3


Scorers : Own Goal


Bookings : 1


Sendings off : 1 - Graham Kelly





Chirnside slipped up again in the race for the league title going down at home to defending champions Pencaitland on Saturday. The early exchanges were fairly even with neither goalkeeper being tested. However after 10 minutes the home team took the lead. Turner swung in a corner from the right and the away defender put the ball past his own keeper after pressure from G.Kelly.


The away team were now pushing for the equaliser and Lugget had to look sharp on a number of occasions. After half an hour that goal came after a free-kick was mis-judged by the home defence. Lugget was left stranded and the away defender had the simplest of tasks of nodding the ball into the empty net. Chirnside could have gone back in front just before the break but Shennan pulled his shot just wide.


The second half started in a similar vein to the first half with neither team creating any real clear cut chances. It looked likely who ever scored the next goal would go on and win the game and it was Pencaitland who made the breakthrough on the hour mark. The away striker turned well on the edge of the box and his low drive beat Lugget. Chirnside then thought they had won a penalty when Shennan went down on the by-line but the referee adjudged the offence happened outside the box much to the disgust of the home support.


The away team scored the killer third goal with 20 minutes to go. The right winger chipped the ball in over Lugget's head from 18 yards to seal the points. The home team should have scored a consolation goal late on but Shennan's header appeared to be blocked by the arm of an away defender. The referee again waved away the protests and Chirnside's misery was complete when G.Kelly was sent off for taking his remonstrations too far.